Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [ID: Baby Soft Love by Playmates] old baby doll  (Read 27575 times)

Offline BondGirlOO17

[ID: Baby Soft Love by Playmates] old baby doll
« on: Thursday 17 March 2011, 06:17 pm »
This was always my favorite baby doll when I was little. I got her sometime between 1984 & 87. She is a little over 12 inches from head to toe, with a soft plush tummy and plastic head, arms, and legs. She came with a soft pink dress and bonnet, though I lost the bonnet many years ago. Her thumbs would fit in her mouth, so it looked like she was sucking her thumb.
The only markings on the doll are 4 lines of text on the back of her neck, though these are slightly worn in now and hard to read: 16 (or 10); 3140 (or 5140); 3.75; Hongkong. Her dress has a "Playmates" tag, but I still haven't been able to identify the exact doll.

I would love to find one of these that's new or even just in better shape than mine (years of constant play took their toll.) Even just finding a replacement dress & bonnet would be awesome.
« Last Edit: Monday 21 March 2011, 05:45 am by BondGirlOO17 »

Offline EmBee

Re: [ID: Tiara Dolls by Playmates] old baby doll
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 2011, 07:03 pm »
She's very similar to my doll:

-Em
;)

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 2011, 03:04 am »
That looks just like her! Mine's just all faded. I don't suppose you're selling yours?

Offline EmBee

« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 2011, 03:43 am »
Oh awesome!!  We had the same baby doll.   ;D

Oh no, I'm sorry if my message was misleading.  All I have left of my doll is her stained dress.  :'( That is a photo I saved off of eBay.

I'm glad I helped though, good luck in finding another!

-Em
« Last Edit: Friday 18 March 2011, 03:44 am by Em »
;)

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 2011, 06:26 am »
Oh well. I'll keep looking. ^_^ Thank you so much for the photo. I've been trying to find a new one for a long time, but not knowing the doll's name made it very hard to look up. Now at least I know what I'm looking for!

Offline EmBee

« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 2011, 02:56 pm »
You are welcome.  If I remember right that specific doll did not go for a heap of money.  I think it was something around $13 - $30.  Fingers crossed for both of us!

-Em
;)

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
Re: [ID: Baby Soft Love by Playmates] old baby doll
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 11:08 pm »
I just stumbled across this thread and was so amused!!  These were my very favorite dolls as a child as well!!  Growing up I was given 1 in a blue dress and left her at grandmom's, we had no idea what happened to her so my mom bought me a second in a yellow dress then we found the first!!  Then somewhere down the line the 1 in the yellow dress became a boy, not sure about this but yeah lol.  A few years ago I was in toys r us and found the 1 in the box- although it is not EXACTALLY the same it is the same company and is VERY similar  I will be giving the new 1 to my future children 1 day! lol  I have the original Blue and yellow dresses but could not find them right away and really wanted to post as I was excited lol

I am just so amused that these were other peoples favorites as well!!
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 11:13 pm »
I love that head mold. You can see the one I had in this thread (still not definitively named). Now I wonder since the person said it had a soft body if it wasn't one of these? But mine is all plastic and the head swivels kind of strange like theirs so maybe she just misremembered the body.

http://ghostofthedoll.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=35.0
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 11:24 pm »
The body of the 2 different 1s I showed are soft and their heads swivel as well.  The picture of the 1 you posted if the same mold as the 2 I posted next to the box- you can tell this by looking at the distinct hand positioning.  The legs and arms also swivel.  Here is a naked pic of the boy lol, granted he is a little stained as I got him when I was like 4. 

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 11:59 pm »
Similar doll for sale on ebay!!  Same doll but with hair and a different outfit!  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-14-NEWBORN-SOFT-LOVE-PLAYMATES-TIARA-DOLL-BOX-/320528815124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa1019414

Hurry sale ends in less than an hour

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 December 2011, 02:56 pm »
My Christmas gift to myself this year:

I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me identify my doll, because otherwise I never would have known how to search for the new one, which I got on ebay.

Meanwhile, I saw this following doll on ebay as well.

Her box says "Baby Darling" but to me it seems she is the exact same doll. Weird that playmates would have two different names for the same doll style. I wonder if she's just in the wrong box?

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 December 2011, 04:17 pm »
LOVE the gift to yourself!!!  Thanks for sharing the other baby in box- is that one by playmates too I can't tell??  I wonder if it is a knockoff?  

I looked on ebay under baby darling and could not find it- should I look under something else?
« Last Edit: Saturday 24 December 2011, 04:20 pm by ecpblue »

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 December 2011, 07:00 am »
I don't know if a search will turn it up if the auction ended. The logo on the bottom right corner does appear to be the Playmates logo for the time period. Meanwhile, here's the only other picture I've located of a "Baby Darling" doll.

I'm wondering if they changed the doll's name at some point.

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 December 2011, 03:55 pm »
interesting- here is the link for the auction, there are more close up pictures:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220913695889&_trksid=p2992.m753

The baby darling doll is from 1979, I am not sure the year of the other but I am trying to find it.  I am thinking that baby darling may be the original??

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 December 2011, 04:21 am »
The Baby Soft Love I bought says 1981 on the box.

anything