Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Make Your Own.... Jewelry??? Mid 90s  (Read 12892 times)

Offline Mysstica

Make Your Own.... Jewelry??? Mid 90s
« on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 03:27 pm »
I saw the episode of Babysitters Club in which Claudia makes jewelry, and it sparked a memory for me. When I was younger, I had a sort of jewelry-making playset. (I don't remember if it stayed soft or hardened or you baked it or what.) I actually am not sure if it was jewelry we were making... but here is what I do know:

*You used a white spongy material (kind of like clay, but airy and springy) to make the jewelry (or whatever it made)
*There was some sort of machine that flattened out the spongy material to a uniform thickness
*It came with really, really fine glitter too add to the spongy material
*I seem to remember there being pictures to transfer to the spongy material

That's it for now. Not much to go on, I know. :P

Offline Dludnerad

Re: Make Your Own.... Jewelry??? Mid 90s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 03:54 pm »

Offline pikapal

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 06:16 pm »
Was it possibly made by Tyco, Did it have molds or cookie cutter type things? Possibly a zebra and star shapes?

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 2012, 03:49 pm »
I know that I had that, but I can't think of what it was either! It's pretty much the faintest memory ever!
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 2012, 01:23 am »
For some reason, I remember rhinestones. I think.

EDIT: I think it probably was one of the many Jazzy Jewelry playsets by Crayola (1993ish). I remember a set that had the purple plastic shapes, black cord, and wire hoop earrings. And I didn't have many jewelry sets (my others were Lisa Frank Bead Mania and some frosty glass bead sets).

Some of the sets: Glitter Gems, Hip Hoops, Bead Shop, Rollup Beads, Fabulous Frames, and Charm Machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODPBjrMb0o
« Last Edit: Wednesday 07 March 2012, 02:59 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 2012, 01:36 am »
Also, found this link:
http://babysittersclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=claudiakishi&action=display&thread=3953

Still not sure if this is it, though. I'm definitely remembering a white clay and making it into small flower shapes with a mold and then attaching them to earring backings, etc. And there was glitter and rhinestones. What was this set?!?
« Last Edit: Wednesday 07 March 2012, 03:05 am by zuse »

Offline Bren41882

« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 12:49 am »
Did the machine look like a pinkish purple easy Bake Oven? If it did it may have been a Easy2Do jewelry maker I had one when I was little it came with a white foamy play-doh like material that you put in mold and "cooked" by light bulb in the oven then when it cooled you could paint it and add glitter,jewels etc.
"Death does not stop true love, all it can do is delay it for awhile."-Westley in The Princess Bride

Offline zuse

« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 01:30 am »
I don't remember a light bulb thing?

Offline Bren41882

« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 08:09 pm »
Yeah it was called Easy2Do and worked like a easy bake oven my grandma got it for me cause she couldn't find the easy bake oven i asked for. I remember the necklace mold was rather small and the necklaces i made with it ended up on my dolls if they didn't break. The finished jewelry was rather fragile. Unfortunaly I can't find any pics or refances to anywhere any help would be apprecated.
"Death does not stop true love, all it can do is delay it for awhile."-Westley in The Princess Bride

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 March 2012, 05:30 pm »
Hmm... that doesn't sound quite right. I remember the jewelry being thick enough and not fragile and I also don't remember a light bulb, BUT I could be wrong! :D

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 September 2012, 07:32 pm »
Please mind the brainstorm here...

FINALLY, a 90s clay MYO jewelry kit! :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Lion-King-Fashion-Magic-Craft-Jewelry-Kit-1994-/370164497052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item562f85fa9c

So... was it Fashion Magic??? Fashion Magic Cool Jewels, maybe?... http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1957&dat=19931121&id=4WEzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3-AFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6275,4979830

"Modelling Compound, glitter..." Hmm... http://www.trademarkia.com/fashion-magic-74302188.html

Fashion Magic Nails... looks like it had been bought by Mattel by then... but I totally remember this commercial! ;) Starts at 9:40: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhi_Th80oc

Offline pikapal

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 2012, 02:34 am »
I think Fashion Magic was the thing my neighbor had. We played with it in 1995, but it could have been a earlier set.
« Last Edit: Thursday 20 September 2012, 02:38 am by pikapal »

Offline zuse

« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 2012, 03:52 pm »
Here are some pieces. Do they look familiar?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/130766960713

I feel like I totally had one of these sets. I remember the roller. But I think my clay was all white? I *think* mine had an ocean theme? (starfish, shells?) Looking closer under the "Molding" category, I think I remember the flower. And my set had glitter. And I know that there were clear plastic hair combs for decorating.

http://service.mattel.com/instruction_sheets/30825.pdf
« Last Edit: Thursday 20 September 2012, 04:00 pm by zuse »

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 September 2012, 05:23 pm »
I saw those pieces on ebay, but they didn't look familiar, so I didn't post the link. ;) I want to say that the clay came in clear wrap, not a tub. But the clay in the ebay lot isn't Fashion Magic; I think it said it was Crayola. :D

EDIT: Ahhhh, looks like I got that backwards! The clay IS Fashion Magic, but the pieces are Crayola; the pink thing you squeeze together says Crayola on it. ;)

EDIT ... again: *giggle* Okay, so the blue and pink plates are also Fashion Magic. The zig-zag pattern ("W") looks a little familiar, but I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: Thursday 20 September 2012, 05:30 pm by Mysstica »

Offline zuse

« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 September 2012, 12:21 am »
Did you look at the instruction sheet pdf?

anything