Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Tiny plastic playsets purple/blue dress shop and barn with tiny dolls  (Read 12648 times)

Offline DenaBean8

Tiny plastic playsets purple/blue dress shop and barn with tiny dolls
« on: Wednesday 10 November 2010, 07:25 pm »
Help!  I've been searching for a toy I had when I was little.  I don't have the items anymore - so no pics...just what I can remember in my head.

I think the playsets were purchased at Toys R Us in the late 80's or early 90's.  I think the "houses" were the size of the small early 90's Polly Pocket sets and the figures inside were about the same size as Polly's too or even smaller.

I remember a dress shop that was purple or blue.  I think the dresses were plastic and flat with tabs on the top that would sit on the tiny doll's shoulders.  I think there were little flat mannequins that could show the outfits.  The dolls were teeny tiny and had plastic hair - maybe in a pony tail.  I think maybe they bent at the waist but I don't think they moved much more than that.

There was also a barn playset that was red.  The sides of the playset would slide in and out to make it close up more compact.  I think the dress shop did the same.

I wish I could remember more!  And I would appreciate any help!

Offline DenaBean8

Re: Tiny plastic playsets purple/blue dress shop and barn with tiny dolls
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 2010, 07:42 pm »
Also - the dolls looked more like teenagers than children.  I think maybe they had little plastic disc stands - but not 100% sure on that.

Offline apanda0622

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 2010, 12:19 am »
Oh Jenny (US) or Oh Penny (UK)

Offline mam

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 2010, 04:42 am »
Did any of it look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MATCHBOX-OH-JENNY-DREAMWORLD-HARD-FIND-/300490009752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f699ac98

(this isn't my listing, but I looked up Oh Jenny because I was curious ^^ )

Offline pikapal

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 2010, 07:14 am »
Could it be My Pretty Doll House by Galoob?

http://ghostofthedoll.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=194.0

Offline DenaBean8

« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 08:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  It definitely isn't Oh Jenny/Penny.  But I had that playset too!

It is close to the Galoob My Pretty Dollhouse.  I think probably the same scale.  But the doll's were maybe a tiny bit thinner and I remember that their plastic hair looked like it was separate and that you could pull it off.  But you couldn't really pull it off because it was attached somehow - but it wasn't part of the doll mold.

Maybe it was a knockoff of the Galoob My Pretty Dollhouse?!

Offline DenaBean8

« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 08:42 pm »
I remember a big feature of these little playsets were that the sides slid out from the main piece to make a bigger playset.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 November 2010, 09:01 pm »
I'm just guessing... one of the Tiny Dreams sets by Blue-Box?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110609833198
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline DenaBean8

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 November 2010, 03:57 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Zuse.  That's not it - but I put a bid on that playset anyway because it's so cute!  My nieces would love it!

I'm trying to think what year this toy I'm looking for would be from.  It's probably closer to mid-80's.  I was 9 in 1985, so this was the sort of toy I probably would have had around that age or maybe just a bit older.

Offline mam

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 November 2010, 07:57 am »
Hmm... what do you mean by the sides slid out exactly? I'm really horrible at envisioning this ^^

The playsets were compacts that opened & closed (like the earliest Polly Pockets) or were built like houses that you could open the roof to (like the later Polly houses)?

Did the piece(s) that slid out have a sticker decoration on the floor or a mold?

I want to figure this out! o-O 
=)

Offline DenaBean8

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 November 2010, 01:20 pm »
Thanks for trying to help!  I'm afraid my memory is a little foggy on the details but here's what I think it was like:

They weren't compacts.  They were built like houses.  I'm not sure if the roof opened but I think the front closed up so that all of the tiny pieces that came with it could be safely stored inside.  I think there was some sort of track system underneat that allowed the sides of the buildings to slide in and out to make more rooms.  I don't remember there being too many stickers if any.  I think it was mostly just molded plastic and not in many colors - so it was unfortunately probably a cheaper off brand toy which is making it much harder to find.

I think the dress shop might have had two floors.  But these playsets were very small - I'm think maybe 6-8 inches high.  The barn was more like a stable probably.  I can't remember much - but probably came with a horse and I think some fence pieces.  The tiny plastic dolls had arms that came out from the sides (not just molded to the sides but there was space between the body and the arm) - but I don't think the arms moved.  And I'm pretty sure they had separate legs too with space between them but they just bent at the waist - the legs didn't move independently.  I'm almost positive they all had plastic ponytails in different colors (brown, black, blonde).  I wish I could find just one little piece from the playsets to help solve it - but I have yet to come across anything.

Offline erinmarie637

« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 February 2012, 11:59 pm »
Yes!! I know what you're talking about I had the dress shop and an ice cream shop.  Unfortunatley I don't remember what they were called either, but I still have one of the dolls.

Offline DenaBean8

« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 March 2012, 08:08 pm »
YES!!!!  That is one of the dolls!

Offline erinmarie637

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 March 2012, 07:01 am »
The other doll I had was blonde w/ a ponytail. I believe she came  with the soda/ice cream shop. I also remember the sets coming w/ a vehicle? I hope someone can id these!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Last Edit: Tuesday 27 March 2012, 10:08 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)