Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Anybody in uk/europe want to do me a huuuuuuge favour?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline mouse

Anybody in uk/europe want to do me a huuuuuuge favour?
« on: Sunday 20 February 2011, 10:35 am »
Seller only post to europe (even though she's in the u.k.... which is nort part of Europe. I'm assuming that's error on her part!) Anyway - would anyone be willing to be bid for me?

ETA: I'm dumb!
« Last Edit: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 11:55 am by mouse »

Offline princess_lucy

Re: Anybody in uk/europe want to do me a huuuuuuge favour?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 2011, 03:18 pm »
The Uk's definitely in Europe lol

Offline mouse

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 02:11 am »
The Uk's definitely in Europe lol

I don't consider it be in Europe. The UK is part of the European Union and takes part in Eurovision but it's not part of the European continent and is different geographically and culturally. My mum is from England and she doesn't consider herself to be European. I'm not having a go but just wondering is it a common thing now then, to consider the UK and Europe as one?

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 04:11 am »
The UK isn't its own continent though. It's part of the continent of Europe. Just because it's not attached to the main body of the continent doesn't mean it isn't part of it. Otherwise, every island around the world would be its own continent.

Offline mouse

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 11:50 am »
The UK isn't its own continent though. It's part of the continent of Europe. Just because it's not attached to the main body of the continent doesn't mean it isn't part of it. Otherwise, every island around the world would be its own continent.

Oh yeah I get that. Australia is the only island that is also a continent (I heard that a lot in school!) I just thought it was really odd to refer to the Uk and Europe as one and the same. If someone from the UK e-mailed me, I wouldn't say sorry, I don't post to Europe, I'd say sorry I don't post to the U.K. (though I would, but that's beside the point!) and if I was asked what my ethnic heritage was, I'd say British and European (as opposed to just European).

So it's one of those 'you learn something new everyday' type things! I've always thought of them as seperate. I always thought Russia was considered part of Europe as well, but only some of it is, the majority in the east is considered part of Asia.

Offline Coma

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 12:53 pm »
You're not wrong, mouse. Even though the UK is a technically a part of Europe, it is obviously different to continental Europe. It is most often listed in it's own right, independently alongside Europe - usually as 'UK & Europe'.

Maybe you could venture to ask the seller about it though - there may have been an option for 'where will you ship' and they simply selected Europe, assuming it included the UK.

Offline mouse

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 03:01 pm »
The auctions ended now and they were in the UK and when I asked them if they'd ship to Aus they said they'd only ship to Europe, which I thought was pretty odd considering they were in the UK (the way I saw it they weren't even shipping to the UK if that make sense!) I've just never heard of anyone just say Europe when they mean the UK as well and then other people on this board were thought it made sense so I was interested to know if this is a common thing, to consider the UK as part of Europe (and then, by deafult, British people as Europeans) I suppose it's more a geographic/political description rather than an ethnic one. Europeans are a mix of ethnicities anyway, so I suppose reffering to some as European is more about their geographic location than their ethnicity anyway. Guess who over thinks stuff? ::)

Offline princess_lucy

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 11:47 pm »
They probably only ship to Europe because of customs. Because the UK is in the EU there's no customs forms to fill in and not a lot of customs issues to contend with when shipping within the EU. Shipping to Australia and the U.S. can be a bit of a nightmare from the EU simply because of customs restrictions, packages getting opened at customs and sometimes being confiscated entirely. For shipping purposes, the UK is definitely part of Europe! In all other respects I guess it's a matter of cultural identity!

Offline mumngrls

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 February 2011, 04:05 pm »
i am always happy to bid and post on.
I have been posting worldwide for 4 years with no problems

anything