Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Finally got my Barbie Tea Set  (Read 7751 times)

Offline EmBee

Finally got my Barbie Tea Set
« on: Friday 04 March 2011, 08:04 pm »
I'm so happy!  A friend of mine gifted me the exact tea set I had in my childhood..  sometimes the unexpected kindness of others really blows me away!  I had been looking for a complete set for a long time.

All the color changing pieces still fully work (below is just a bad example, I'm out of ice):

Did anybody else here have a little tea set they adored?
I can't wait to put this on display..   ;D

-Em
;)

Offline Cherry Chip

Re: Finally got my Barbie Tea Set
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 2011, 08:36 pm »
How sweet.  What a cool tea set!  I had one that changed colors too that I LOVED but it wasn't a Barbie one.  I don't remember what brand it was.  It was just plain dark pink and when you would put it in warm water it would change to light pink I think.  And it came with these plastic knives and cookies that had jam on them and when you would wash them, the jam would go away.  It came with this pink tray that you set the cups on and when you turned the tray over, it was like a sink where you could wash them.  Hopefully I still have it.  I also had this mini porcelain tea set with Minnie Mouse on it.  I broke some of the pieces but I loved that one too.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 2011, 09:14 pm »
That was the Playskool Magic Tea Party (1991ish).

It's been reinvented! (BUT NO COOKIES AND JAM?!?)

I really like your Barbie one, Em!
« Last Edit: Friday 04 March 2011, 09:42 pm by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 2011, 10:35 pm »
Thanks Cherry Chip and zuse!  I just got it set up in front of my doll shelf, it looks cute.

I totally remember those little jam and cracker/cookie pieces, but not so much the set.  I never did have a porcelain tea set, probably a good thing!

-Em
;)

Offline mouse

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 2011, 01:05 am »
I had a boring tea set when I was little - no colour changes at all. Now I've got the Littlest pet shop tea set which is really cute, and one of the starcastles that sort of doubles as a tea set which is pretty awesome.

My niece has a porcelain tea set - she went 'round to her friends who had one and her plastic one (a very cool Beauty and the Beast one that came in a Mrs Potts shaped container) was no longer any good because she wanted one that made the clinking noise when you say 'cheers'. She's already broken the lid to the sugar bowl. It's sort of ironic there's a big deal about lead levels in vintage toys but you can give your kid a highly breakable tea set that snaps into sharp pieces and that's o.k!

Offline Cherry Chip

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 2011, 05:38 pm »
Haha ^ Ya I agree, kids and porcelain don't mix lol.  In my defense, the only reason mine broke was because I was trying to get them down from a shelf that I couldn't really reach because I'm stubborn like that and they all fell down and half of them broke.  I always regretted that.

Oh yeah, there they are.  Thank you :)  Oh cool, they reinvented it but w/o the cookies?  Ya I agree --- how dare they! lol.  I think I liked the one I had the most.  Oh and that one doesn't even turn into a sink it looks like.  What the heck?  Ya, I like mine way better lol.

Offline mouse

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 2011, 07:34 am »
I found some really cute tea sets today on ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220752112467&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110659660821&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT - this is a really old one but it's so cute how the handles are shaped like a character :)

Offline jazzmatazz

« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 2011, 05:24 pm »
  ;D  I had the 1991 playschool  color changing tea set growing up! I loved that thing so much! I wonder if it's still around my parents' in a box somewhere

anything