Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Dolly Surprise, Playskool/Hasbro 1987-1990  (Read 24783 times)

Offline Stefanie

Re: Dolly Surprise, Playskool/Hasbro 1987-1990
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 September 2011, 06:39 pm »
Quick list:
Mattel 1985, 1986: Lady Lovely Locks, Rainbow Brite, Popples, My Child
Hasbro/ Playskool 1986- 1990  Jem, Maxie, Moondreamers, Real Baby, My Beautiful Doll, Dolly Surprise, Sweetie Pops. Love-A-Bye-Baby
Tonka 1990-1991: Cupcakes, WWF Wrestling Buddies, Hush Little Baby
Fisher-Price: 1992-1995: Dress and Dream, My Dream Dollhouse, Puzzle Place
Mattel: 1995-1997: Cabbage Patch Kids, Little Miss (various), Chatty Cathy (re-issue), Polly Pocket

I also invented Cuddle-Bye Baby, which was sold by Fisher-Price before I went to work there in 1992.

Freelance 1997-2009:  Barbie accessories & playsets, Winnie the Pooh 's Friendly Places playsets, Cabbage Patch Kids, Hollie Hobbie (relaunch) Strawberry Shortcake (relaunch) Sky Dancers (relaunch) My Dream Baby, Bratz (fabric design), Little Mommy, My Little Pony.... sorry there are so many, this is only a partial list

Spin Master: 2009-present: Liv Fashion Dolls playsets & accessories, Victorious.

Please don't get the impression that I designed all dolls and playsets for these lines. I was part of a team of designers, whether full-time or freelance, and each of us had particular items we worked on, but rarely all. There were some lines that I entirely designed, like 2nd year Cupcakes dolls (not playsets), 3rd year Dolly Surprise, 2nd year Moondreamers (except playsets & Sun Finders). These dolls were never released.

Also know that there are many many more toys that I designed, invented, or contributed that never saw the light of day. Most of my time at Fisher-Price was coming up with new products, most of which were never produced. Also, during the 12 years I was freelancing, there were many toys I worked on that I have no idea if they were released or not. Sometimes a couple of years would go by, then I'd go to Toys R Us and see something familiar... gee, did I work on that?  LOL!
« Last Edit: Tuesday 11 October 2011, 05:47 am by Stefanie »

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 September 2011, 06:49 pm »
Dang - you helped on some winners! Sounds like a job that could be a lot of fun (the story of the little girl and her doll sounds so sweet!) But I think somewhere along the line I convinced myself it would be unexciting like in the movie "Big" so I wouldn't have to live with the disappointment of not being a toy designer. ::)

Now I really want a look at your cabinet of all the toy catalogs. ;D

Be careful on the internet (don't know how much you explore!)... there's pretty much a cult of all the MLP fans... O.o
« Last Edit: Thursday 22 September 2011, 06:51 pm by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 September 2011, 07:25 pm »
Trust me, my contribution to MLP was minimal.  I've been discovered by fans of My Child, Rainbow Brite, and Jem.... they are pretty crazy too.

Ok, being a toy designer is a HORRIBLE JOB! They tie us up at our desks all day long, with these incredibly long, rusty chains. They only unlock us on Christmas, and only if our toys are the #1 selling toy of that year. It's a really nasty business. ;D ;D ;D

Offline zuse

« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 September 2011, 02:20 am »
Ok, being a toy designer is a HORRIBLE JOB! They tie us up at our desks all day long, with these incredibly long, rusty chains. They only unlock us on Christmas, and only if our toys are the #1 selling toy of that year. It's a really nasty business. ;D ;D ;D

;D
« Last Edit: Friday 23 September 2011, 02:23 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 September 2011, 02:37 am »
Stefanie, what an amazing, impressive list!!  Zuse you are too funny- you are both amusing me :-)
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 September 2011, 07:57 am »

;D

LOL, I play that one all the time for my kids! Staying chained up all those years has made me very emaciated and tiny.

Offline catlover51

« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 September 2011, 01:48 am »
Impressive!! Jealous
When are you writing an identification book for any or all of it?  ;) ;D

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 September 2011, 11:43 pm »
I just found a couple of boxes of some of my dolls that I designed, and in the box was a Pigtail Dolly Surprise (Daisy Surprise), and a Head to Toe Dolly Surprise.  I'm pretty sure there's another box in the garage with a bunch of the Little Dolly Surprise dolls. When I find that, maybe I can post some photos.

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 September 2011, 11:46 pm »
looking forward to it!!
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline Wardah

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 September 2011, 11:40 pm »
My dream is to be a toy designer too. I am currently going to college to get a degree in Graphic Design. My University has internship partnerships with many area companies including Hasbro so maybe I'll be lucky and get a foot into the door. Imagine if I could relaunch some forgotten toy lines with a modern twist.

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 October 2011, 04:50 am »
What school are you going to?
FIT in NYC has a toy design program (certificate) that's sponsored by Hasbro. On the west coast, Otis College of Art & Design also has a toy design program (degree) that's sponsored by Mattel, and many of their students intern at my company (Spin Master), plus the other local Southern California companies: Jakks Pacific, MGA, Playmates, Takara, etc.
Today, it's really a great way to get into the toy industry. I wish they'd had a program like that when I was in college!

Offline zuse

« Last Edit: Tuesday 08 November 2011, 04:25 am by zuse »

Offline Foxtale

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 February 2012, 02:41 am »
Just for fun, here's a photo of my office at Hasbro in 1988, showing some of the dolls 'in progress', including my original color renderings for Baby Dolly Surprise and the pigtail Dolly Surprise dolls.

So cool, sorry to take the thread off topic but I love seeing this picture of your desk! Love how you have the inprogress dolls there.

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 February 2012, 04:32 am »
Thanks! You're sweet! Wish I still had all that stuff!

Offline zuse

« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 February 2012, 02:12 am »

anything