Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Funny article about 80's toys "origins"  (Read 5821 times)

Offline EmBee

Funny article about 80's toys "origins"
« on: Saturday 02 July 2011, 08:57 pm »
http://www.cracked.com/article_19270_6-beloved-80s-toys-with-bizarrely-horrifying-origin-stories.html

From a news website aimed to make you laugh.
Love it or hate it but I kind of enjoyed it!

-Em
;)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: Funny article about 80's toys "origins"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 2011, 09:33 pm »
I have been addicted to that site so badly lately. I don't think I knew most of those (not a *true* 80s kid).
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 2011, 12:33 am »
Hahaha same!  I see the related stories at the bottom and always open more tabs over and over.
 ::)

-Em
;)

Offline pirateparakeet

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 2011, 07:19 pm »
Have you guys ever seen the first MLP cartoon? the series that followed had a plot line as entertaining as watching grass grow, but the original "My Little Pony Television Special" (which later became Firefly's Adventure) was actually a little terrifying..

here's the back of the VHS case:

The opening scene is the short bit that played during the intro song for the rest of the series. ponies are just chillin', hanging out and playing, watching butterflies..

when all of a sudden the sky goes dark, and giant dragons swoop in and start snatching up ponies at random.

he actually says, "YOU ARE ALL DOOMED! SOON ALL LITTLE PONIES WILL BELONG TO TIRAC, THE MASTER OF MIDNIGHT CASTLE!!"

Turns out this guy:

needs ponies to turn into:

(Bubbles, Moondancer, NOOOOO!)

..mutant dragon creatures needed to pull his chariot that night so he can cast some spell and turn the world into neverending darkness.

evil magic surrounding Applejack..

three seconds later. Well, that WAS Applejack.

« Last Edit: Wednesday 06 July 2011, 02:42 am by pirateparakeet »
Always looking for my little ponies!

Offline EmBee

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 2011, 11:35 pm »
Ah, the pilot episode!!

Yeah, that is my most favorite of all (and the first I ever saw).
I like the dark parts in it, and it's interesting what children's shows and movies have them.

I don't know, I think it adds a lot of depth to the story and less surface dwelling!

-Em
;)

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 2011, 05:29 am »
This was my favorite movie as a kid I drove my parents crazy because every night before bed for a year or two I would only watch this movie  :P.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 2011, 05:36 am »
well by today's standards this would be way to scary for kids that are under 5  ::)

Offline pirateparakeet

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 July 2011, 06:09 pm »
yeah that's what I mean! As an adult collector I like this movie a lot as it actually adds normal plot with something more serious than "oh no, we're out of ice cream." but for little kids? scary as hell.

Offline mouse

« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 July 2011, 02:14 am »
yeah that's what I mean! As an adult collector I like this movie a lot as it actually adds normal plot with something more serious than "oh no, we're out of ice cream." but for little kids? scary as hell.

Kids like to be scared a bit though. My niece's favourite part of Disney movies is the ones with 'Evil Queen' (she calls all the female villians evil queen) so she loves the Evil Queen from Snow White, Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty and the evil queen from Enchanted (I've forgotten her name). She didn't like Alice in Wonderland because she said it had no evil queen (she was not impressed with the queen of hearts). Even the older disney movies (like Snow White) were scarier than the movies released today. I always found Dumbo really freaky with the 'Pink Elephants on Parade' sequence and I hated the part where the music is 'Baby Mine' because it was so freakin' sad and Bambi with the mother being shot is really sad. The only newer movie that's sorta like that is probably Up!

I have the whole MLP series on DVD, I bought it because when I was younger I had one video and I really liked that with 3 episodes on it(it had the one with the giant puppy, the one where teh newborn twins are kidnapped and the first tooth babies have to try and save then even though they thought they didn't like them and another one I don't remember so much where they had to get past a salamander into this castle in the sky and rescue this French sounding guys sister?(I think it was sister)... anyway I've not really watched the other episodes. Sometimes my niece is interested so I put one on but they're not especially engaging. I especially liked the songs in the episodes on my video but I'm not sure if all the episodes have songs?

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 July 2011, 11:00 pm »
that reminds me of one episode that had the summer wing ponies and a think a beehive or something along that line  and they could not fly because their wings were covered in honey. drat i cant quite remember it!  >:(

Offline pirateparakeet

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 July 2011, 08:40 am »
it's The End of Flutter Valley, and it's probably on youtube :D

anything