Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: sewing tips needed  (Read 2903 times)

Offline hime

sewing tips needed
« on: Wednesday 06 July 2011, 03:58 pm »
I'm trying to repair a doll(this one http://photobucket.com/albums/f89/deltadod/?action=view&current=chibisachi001.jpg

and as you can see the head is torn so how do I sew it back?

Offline mouse

Re: sewing tips needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 2011, 02:47 am »
Hand sew it with small stitches in white cotton. It should be pretty easy to do.

Offline hime

« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 2011, 01:33 pm »
Yes but how do I get the stiches to stay?

Offline mouse

« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 2011, 02:43 pm »
How do you mean? You tie a knot in it when you start stitching and then tie another one where you finish? If it's how to start and finish with hand stitching that you're unsure about you might want to google hand sewing or get a sewing book from the library that show stitches. Also when I sew stuff I usually double the thread (I think most people do but just in case you didn't know to do that I thought I'd mention that).

Offline pirateparakeet

« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 2011, 08:47 pm »
okay, wow.. at first I was really confused by the question but now I think I get it.

You're a guy, aren't you?  ;D

So you get some thread. I would personally use off white or maybe even tan because that doll is so faded your bright white threads would show. But if you think it's washable, go with white.

So you take your thread, and break off a really long piece. Like three feet worth.

Get a small needle.

See the eyelet in the top? Lick the thread tip and repeadedly try to stick the end through the hole. Once you get it (it might take one try, or it might take twenty) pull the thread until the needle is in the center and the two end pieces now meet underneath it. Basically, folded in half but with a needle in it.

You've now doubled your thread, meaning your stitches will be much stronger.

Take the two ends and tie them together. The thicker your knot, the better the chance is you have of it not slipping back through the thread holes.

Get as close to the end of the torn seam as you can, or maybe even a few milimeters before it to prevent it from ripping more. Keep it as close to the edge of the tear as you can so you don't lose part of the doll's neck, but make sure the fabric is strong enough to handle the stitching. If it's worn and frayed you're going to have to move down to thicker fabric and lose some neck. Begin threading from the INSIDE of the neck (that way your knot and tail will not stick out).

Pull the needle out of the neck from the outside and move it to the spot directly above your stitch, as close to the rip as you can but again, keeping it on solid fabric. Put needle in through the front and pull out from the inside.

Go back down to the neck and put the needle through from the inside again, as close to the first stitch as possible.

Tighten after each stitch so that the fabrics are aligned by your stitches.

Repeat until you've covered the entire thing.

At the end, loop the thread through and tie off with a small knot, as invisible as possible.

1. loop thread
2. tie off end
3. first stitch from inside of neck
4. go through outside of the head to the inside. 
5. bring the thread back down from the inside to the neck again.
6. Repeat
7. Finished!

disclaimer: sewing will not cause your doll to fix her hair or change her facial expression.
Always looking for my little ponies!

Offline hime

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 2011, 03:38 pm »
Thankies for all the help I'll do my best to fix things.

anything