Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Dad needing help  (Read 5417 times)

Offline daddiemac

Dad needing help
« on: Wednesday 15 June 2011, 09:25 pm »
Hi new here and in need of some help, I've mistakenly introduced my 4 year old to the joys of the 80's especially 80's cartoons and toys. She's now fallen in love with Jem and has request we do her list for Father Christmas already!!!!!!!

Top of that list is Jem dolls.............

Any one out there have any they would like to sell?

Trying to plan ahead.

Thanks

Offline poniesofdooom

Re: Dad needing help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 2011, 11:14 pm »
Hi, I don't have any for sale at the moment, but a really good site for buying 80s toys is Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage/toy?search_submit=&q=jem+doll&noautofacet=1

Like ebay, but without all the bidding frustration. Hope that helps.

Offline daddiemac

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 2011, 09:20 pm »
Thanks, i'll have a quick look. :) :)

Offline zap18

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 2011, 11:35 pm »
Jem dolls with all their stuff can get expensive, but they are pretty available on ebay.  Since your daughter is only 4, you could maybe grab her a Liv dance doll on the shelves now:

The blonde's hair flips to pink, and it just has a very Jem/Jerrica look.  Stormer and Shana are also easy to put together with the wigs and dolls.

Again, just a thought, since the real Jem dolls are expensive (and I always personally felt, not as attractive as they should be, lol).

Offline daddiemac

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 10:17 pm »
Thanks for that, appreciated, the only thing is (I'm sure several other parents will agree) that the dolls today all appear.... well very sexual  :o :o :o

This I find quite concerning with a lot of the toys/dolls on offer, either being very babyish or in my option very adult, feel likes its a no win either way.

Think this is why I got my daughter interested in 80's cartoons, you know, there was no sex and the story's seamed to carry some sort of moral and of course the fact I'm a total 80's fan probably factors in there somewhere!!!

I agree the Jem dolls are not the best looking at all and probably could have been made to look a tad better, but I don't feel there's any sexual element with these which is great........... God I'm totally ranting here, "is there any need".

Well thanks again, I'll keep looking and any other ides are appreciated. Thankfully shes now also decided she likes the Charmkins!!!!

Better get on the hunt for them.

Offline daddiemac

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 2011, 08:39 pm »
Ive so far managed to acquire a Glitter n Gold roadster and a Rock and Curl Jem not complete.

It's so hard to find things, there are plenty on Ebay but they go for crazy prices or are incomplete!!!

Still looking so anyone with any Jem to sell let me know.

Thanks a hopeful Dad.

Offline rainbowbrite29

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 2011, 03:16 am »
hello ;) i totally agree with what you posted my three year old only watches my eighties and ninties dvd collection cartoons today and toys go from one extreme to the next  iv been hunting down rainbow brite stuff for my lil girl for christmas and smurfs i was going to tell u i have the jem boxsets for sale twenty a piece or thirty five for both if u r interested also i got my daughter the rainbow brite 2010 barbies they arent sexed up and the tickled pink one has a jem look to her u can get them off amazon.com i hope this helps u and  if u would like the dvd sets please feel free to email me i also have a ton of barbies im selling that are late 80s early 90s here is my email mommyn08 at yahoo.com

Offline RavenWaves

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 July 2011, 04:21 am »
You might wanna try this site: www.jemcon.org ..
They have message board where you can post your wants. I agree with Zap18 they are pretty expensive. I got the Jem paper dolls for my daughter. And she seems happy with them.

Offline daddiemac

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 July 2011, 09:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies  :) :) :)

Rainbowbrite29 I've already go the Jem DVD's (that's what started this whole search) was waiting until she was a little older to show her them but like all little girls out there, she managed to find them and that was the end of that!!!! I've thought about the RB dolls, as you say there not "sexed up" like so may on offer to day, but alst she's shown no intrest and its Jem all the way.

The trials of being a parent in the 21st century never end, its so difficult when all you want to do is show your kids how thinks used to be and that especially for young girls, to get on in life you don't need to have your face caked in makeup and your skirt so short it would make your Nana blush..... God I'm ranting again!! But this is why I love the 80's and its toys.

I'll have a look at that site RavenWaves, thanks for that.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on my finds (if any).

Thanks again