Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Merwees!  (Read 14941 times)

Offline EricaVee

Merwees!
« on: Monday 15 March 2010, 03:39 am »
Merwees were one of my favorite toys in the mid-to-late 90's. They were sort of like Sea Wees and My Pretty Mermaids in appearance; they were little dolls that turned into mermaids when you put them in hot water (scale patterns appeared on their legs), and their playsets were shell compacts that stuck to the side of the bathtub.

I can barely find any information about them online--I actually first discovered this site while I was looking for them because there was one on the identified toys page. If anyone remembers them or has any leads on where to find them, please let me know! :)
« Last Edit: Tuesday 16 March 2010, 02:13 am by EricaVee »
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline BattySparkles

Re: Merwees!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 2010, 02:06 pm »
I'm also interested in these. I really wish there was more info on them. When I was younger I had the Rainbow Waterfall play set and the wedding set. All I have left of them is the wife mermaid from the wedding set. If you'd like I could take pictures of her. BTW where did the info on them go from here?

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 03:38 am »
Here is the thread in the Identified Toys archive. The thread has been updated with a picture of the Rainbow Waterfall set from an ad, too! http://ghostofthedoll.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=159.msg254#msg254

I would love it if you could take pictures of her! I'm glad to find someone else that had these. I had two of the little shell playsets; I can't remember what the first one's theme was, only that the doll it came with was blonde and her tail turned pink with blue markings in hot water. The other playset I had was a cafe or diner or something, and the doll was African-American with dark hair and a purple tail.
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 06:43 am »
Thanks for the link. I saw the ad before it was moved to the forum. It's great to at least see those images online!
Since it isn't very clear- the mermaid in the first picture of the other post is the one that came with the Rainbow Waterfall. I guess that one has just lost the paint that created her "legs". She had dark blue pants(as seen in the ad picture). I can describe a little more about the Waterfall play set if you would like.
 The wedding set came with a groom as well. The groom could only move at the waist and was 100% hard plastic unlike the girls who have rubbery arms and legs/tails. His tail also looked very different, it looked more like an actual fish/merperson tail, was light green, and didn't change color or anything. I believe he had brown hair and a white tuxedo jacket. The shell play set in the photo in the ad is the wedding play set.
I was also just thinking some more about it and I think I actually had a 3rd one. I don't remember what the mer-wee looked like but I seem to remember her shell was like a bedroom and had a phone in it, maybe. I'm really not sure though.

Alright! Here is the link to the photo bucket album with the bride in it! I think I took a sufficient amount of pictures, but I can take more pictures if you'd like.
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/fishy_merboi/Mermaids/
« Last Edit: Friday 19 March 2010, 07:25 am by BattySparkles »

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 10:04 pm »
Oooh thank you for the photos, they're fantastic! Her little veil is so cute. So nice to see these closeups instead of trying to squint at blurry ads and cached ebay listings! ;D

I also had an idea that my was a bedroom or something, but I really don't know. Ack! I'm all confused now trying to remember. Somewhere there's probably a big warehouse full of all the unsold Merwees.

Just out of curiosity, did you have the waterfall and wedding playsets because you took advantage of the BOGO offer in that ad?
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 11:40 pm »
haha. Yeah. I even like looking at the pictures, even though I can see her irl. XD
We will find this warehouse! Then we can have them all! >D
No, I didn't get them because of the ad. I remember that I got the bedroom one first, then the wedding one, and the waterfall last. I don't remember them being gifts. So I don't know why I got them.
I also remember a TV ad for the waterfall. It started out with an animated sequence of the rainbow merwee running and jumping into the water. It's vague, but that is all I can remember about it.
I think we should probably remember everything we can and then post all of the for sure information on the other page in case anyone else comes looking. I'm going to try to remember as much as possible before I go there and post though.

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 05:50 pm »
I remember the little cartoon mermaids in the ads too, so cute!

That's a good idea. I'll try and remember too. *tries to remember*
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline zap18

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 11:18 pm »
I posted some pic of mine in the identification thread.  You guys confirmed to me that the boy is real... so I hope he is who you were talking about! 

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 11:59 pm »
Oooh thank you zap, those pics are great! Did you have the playsets too, or just the dolls?
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline zap18

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 March 2010, 12:04 am »
Just the dolls for me.  They are thrift store finds over the years :)  I love reading about what they came with though.  And I didn't realize they were CAP toys- I feel like CAP is responsible for lots of obscure toys lines that I really loved, but can't track down anymore.

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 March 2010, 12:09 am »
I agree, I was trying to find the name of a walking dog I had called Tuggles, and sure enough they were by CAP Toys, and there's about as much information on them as there is on Merwees. I know the company was bought by Hasbro, but all the other info about them seems to have disappeared.

Like I said, there's got to be a warehouse somewhere with all those old toys...;)
« Last Edit: Sunday 21 March 2010, 04:16 am by EricaVee »
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 March 2010, 03:44 am »
Awesome! Thanks zap! That is the boy. But his tail is on backwards, the white things hanging down are the tuxedo jacket's tails. I remember his tail would separate from his body really easily. I'm so glad to see him again! And your other pictures a well. I hope we can get more info and more people with pictures here!

Offline zap18

« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 March 2010, 01:54 am »
Awesome! Thanks zap! That is the boy. But his tail is on backwards, the white things hanging down are the tuxedo jacket's tails. I remember his tail would separate from his body really easily. I'm so glad to see him again! And your other pictures a well. I hope we can get more info and more people with pictures here!

I noticed his tail was on backward when I was uploading the pic- I had taken that pic a while back while taking a bunch at once, so I missed it then.  I was just hoping no one would notice once I saw it, lol.

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 March 2010, 03:09 am »
Haha! ok! *unnoticed the tail on backwards*

Offline zap18

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 March 2010, 06:45 pm »
Erica, I'm interested in seeing some pics of your Tuggles, if you don't mind.  I have two of them and would love to see how many we know of!

I have a golden retreiver and a dalmation :)