Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: New Doll  (Read 3660 times)

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
New Doll
« on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 09:00 pm »
I would love to hear people's reactions and thoughts on this doll there is a youtube video on this link as well!!

http://www.thesuburbanmom.com/tag/breastfeeding-baby-doll/

This doll is all over the internet right now!!  You can find tons of articles and other pictures-

Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: New Doll
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 09:51 pm »
I really hate all the gimmicky dolls. Dolls that crawl. Dolls that walk. Dolls that do headstands. Dolls that burp. Dolls that eat. Dolls that pee and poop. Dolls that talk. So, in that category I don't really care for this doll. For baby dolls I had a couple from my grandmother that were basically what would be called American Girl clones today (but I think they were made about the same time and before American Girls was a big deal). And one or two of the smaller plastic ones that could drink water and then it leaks out on a diaper. No batteries or breakable parts. Just imagination.

I had the bottles where the liquid disappears but I also distinctly remember trying to "feed" them too. I don't know where I learned or saw it as my mom never did it but I guess little babies see it a lot around them. I don't think I had the concept 100%. :-P I remember shoving my doll up under my dress and jutting out my ribcage. So, yeah, I think girls do that with any doll. But this doll is still a bit weird. And of course LLL is going to come out and act offended and scandalized about any negative press it gets. Of course.
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 10:21 pm »
HAHA I love your comment about LLL!!!  You know I typically have never liked the gimmicky dolls either.  All growing up my mom always said I was a "doll kid" b/c I would rather a doll over a stuffed animal.  I always preferred the dolls you could "cuddle" with i.e soft bodies and I had very few that did anything.  I think so many kids these days are loosing imagination with these types of dolls as well as media influences but that is a whole different discussion lol.  I also think that children should be given the option to play with their toys as they please instead of being told what a doll is used for- heck I used my paperdolls with barbies and never saw a problem with that!! 

I think the concept of this doll is strange but then when you watch the video I think it enters a whole new level!!  I agree that so many kids do play with their "babies" in this way but I feel like it should be left up to them to do that.  On the other hand though I guess I could see a mom getting this doll for their child right after they have perhaps had a new baby so while mom is "feeding" her baby and essentially ignoring the other child in the moment the other child could be "feeding' their own baby?  I dunno, it is still strange to me!!  Thanks for the opinion I was wondering what others thought! 

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 10:35 pm »
I'm not sure I agree about the dolls today causing kids to use less imagination. I mean, they had talking baby dolls in the 50s and 60s. I just don't like gimmicks. They break or get boring.

I think if I ever have a daughter I'll try to get her some of the dolls like American Girl - hair to play with, a pretty face, fits lots of accessories and clothes, etc.

But I tell you what, those toy commercial people are crazy good. They make dolls with some of the dumbest premises look exciting. Except you know it's exciting for only like 3 minutes.

(I will disclose that I badly wanted the Magic Bottle baby badly as a kid. But I think I would have happily taken the bottle over the doll it came with any day. And I will also make one exception for P.J. Sparkles as she is just a really pretty doll).
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 10:46 pm »
My favorite dolls growing up were Gotz and 2 small "baby soft love" dolls by precious playmates, in fact I even found an identical 1 from 1987 in the toy store randomly on the self not to long ago- I will have to post pics.  Anyway They fit into any clothes that size and I would spend hours playing with them and nothing else, in fact I got them both as girls and some where along the way 1 became a boy lol. 

You sure are right about commercials!!  Not only that but so many of them from the 80s had such catching songs that I still remember them today and sometimes the song I think jogs more memories than the toy itself!! 

I am amused that you mentioned PJ sparkles as she was 1 of the few "gimmicky" dolls I actually had! lol

Offline mouse

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 2011, 01:43 am »
I saw this doll on a news site as well because of the contoversy. I remember reading a statement from the company saying they hoped the doll would encourage the idea of breastfeeding. Many mothers don't breast feed and don't even try because they feel pressured by the public that they can't breastfeed in a public place and after I saw this doll I did think about how all baby dolls tend to come with bottles to feed the baby. At the same time since breastfeeding is from the body the only way they could illustrate alternatives to bottle feeding on the box of a baby doll would be to have a drawing or photo of a girl pretending to breast feed her doll and that would get the same reaction as this - a reaction which, I think, is really because people are thiking it's wrong to draw attention to little girls boobs (which are really just flat boys chests!)

With the whole promoting breast feeding thing - like Zuse said little kids see breast feeding more than most because someone with a baby isn't going to be so hesitant to breast feed in front a child, given the child is surrounded by little kids and pregnant mums and mums with babies so the kid doesn't bat an eye when someone whips out a boob! The embarrassment or uncomfortable-ness comes later when people get older and we aren't used to seeing other adults body parts and having kids wearing a breast feeding vest isn't going to alter the adult perception. Little kids already pretend to breast feed their dolls, having a doll that's meant to be breast fed isn't changing a childs perception of what you do with a baby, they're already fine with it. Some people get weirded out when a mum breast feeds in a food hall, even though you can't see anything because they have a wrap over themselves or something (but they know the boob is out and the baby IS SUCKING ON THE BOOB OMG!) and those same people are going to be completely freaked out about this toy - even though the toy does not make a child bare their chest (and a kid will do that themselves anyway!) but OMG THE FLOWERS REPRESENT NIPPLES AND IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A BOOB!

I don't think it would be worth the money. I never had dolls that did anything... wait I lie. I have a newborn cabbage patch that was supposed to cry but even from when it was first bought it never worked! I wanted a baby born or whatever doll it was that you could feed and give a bottle and then change it's nappy but how many kids after using up the intial feeding sachets and nappies had a really expensive doll that COULD do bodily functions, but didn't because no one wanted to buy the refills! At least you don't have to buy a new vest after every 'feed' for this doll.

anything