Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Ebay Rant  (Read 3341 times)

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
Ebay Rant
« on: Wednesday 14 September 2011, 06:28 pm »
I take pride in the things I own and the things I sell and as such I do not sell items that smell bad or are visually filthy!!  I really can not understand people who sell items to people without even wiping them down!!  I have received so many items that I have ordered used off of ebay, bonanza or other such sites that are just gross!  I get them and spend a few minutes with a damp cloth and usually a bit of lysol and they are as good as new!  I don't have a problem cleaning the items I just can't understand why people send things to other people so dirty!  Cleaning up someone elses filty is a little gross!  I'm sorry but I had to vent about this- has anyone else had problems with this?  What are your thoughts about how you send things?

By the way, I am not saying everything MUST be newly cleaned just not visibly gross and smelly!
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline invaderhorizongreen

Re: Ebay Rant
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 2011, 11:13 pm »
i have never used e bay but i personally think it is proper etiquette to state CLEARLY the condition of the item you are selling!  receiving  filthy items should result in a looking into a complaint and possibly a temperately ban from said site! 

Offline Figboot

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 2011, 12:26 am »
I got this lot of LLL Dolls. I have cleaned them 3 times! D:
Their so pretty... and still nice just can't get that smell off...
And yes the seller never stated that... everything I got in the lot had the smell. :(

If you have any suggestions on other ways of cleaning or taking smells out, please let me know...

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 2011, 05:56 am »
I agree that things should be stated clearly but I kind of feel even with that who wants to say that something is dirty on an auction and how long does it really take to wipe an item off? I have just gotten so many items that are dirty and I leave feedback reflecting it but it doesn't frustrate me any less!! 

Figboot it seems that you have the same frustration!  I am glad I am not alone with this!  :-)  As for the smell I have used various methods although some worked great I don't know if I would do them to a collectable!!  (I am not responsible for any damaged dolls or toys :-)) I have experimented with cheaper dolls.  Here is a list of things I have tried- some worked some didn't

Dishwasher- did not work very well, did not hurt the dolls
Washer machine (in pillow case)- worked really well but don't know if I would not suggest it for good dolls
Wash with shampoo or clarifying shampoo- works wonders but changes hair shape so you have to redo it, does not always remove smoke smell
Air out (outside)- works ok, takes forever!!  Don't leave in sunlight or exposed to elements
Fabreeze- kind of works but does not last
Dryer Sheets- better than you would expect but does not always last (side note-works great on dogs lol)
Taking the doll apart- sometimes the smell is mold inside do by cleaning the inside it helps but be careful which doll you are taking apart.
Replaceing hair- I have never tried but other have, works to get rid of hair smell but talk about time consuming!!

That is all I can think of right now, can anyone think of any others?  I actually love just putting things in the washer machine but like I said it depends on the doll, other wise I spot clean by hand with qtips- hope this helps someone!

Offline Figboot

« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 2011, 07:29 am »
Thank you for the information blue! C:

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 2011, 07:38 am »
No problem! I hope it helps!  :-)

Offline jadedoz

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 2011, 03:18 am »
Years ago I bought a SNES system off ebay and it was filthy, in the pictures on ebay it looked clean enough but when I received it, it was filthy, seriously it had actual visible dirt ALL over it, not to mention it didnt work either.

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 October 2011, 11:30 pm »
I can't even begin to tell you how many items I have received like that and I always say something on the feedback and I have had people freak out about it- it would have taken them a matter of seconds to wipe off the toys!!  I make it appoint to clean and disinfect all items I am selling for that very reason

anything