Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Designing Toys for TV!  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Stefanie

Designing Toys for TV!
« on: Wednesday 26 October 2011, 07:14 am »
Today me and some of my co-workers got to visit the set of the Nickelodeon TV show "Victorious", for a private party. Our company designs the Victorious toys.  (I work for Spin Master Toys).  We presented each of the cast members with a special one-of-a-kind toy- a doll for each of the 4 girls in the cast, and a microphone (designed by me) for each of the boys.

You can read about it here: http://stefstyleblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/victorious-spin-master-cast-party.html

Sometimes designing toys can be so much fun!

Offline Sora

• Tumblr
Re: Designing Toys for TV!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 2011, 02:27 am »
Wow. Working for a toy company is my dream job! (I'm sure many of us on here feel teh same lol) Any tips?

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 2011, 07:26 am »
It really depends on what you'd like to do- design? Marketing? Sales? I pretty much only know about design, but if you have any specific questions, ask here or send me a PM. Always love to help!

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 2011, 05:41 pm »
How do you get started designing toys? Like what do they look for when they hire you? Good ideas? A certain level of college degree?

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 2011, 03:14 am »
Almost any prospective toy designer would be wise to go to work for a toy company. (As opposed to freelancing) This is to learn the industry, and find out about all aspects of toy manufacturing and development. In order to get a job as a toy designer, you must have a degree of some sort... in Industrial Design, Product Design, Toy Design (there are only 2 colleges that offer degrees in Toy Design), or other related subjects. My degree is in Illustration, specifically children's illustration. As far as ideas go, if you are a person with creativity and great ideas, that's always such a plus! No one wants to hire someone who has no imagination or sense of fun!

I'm always happy to try to answer questions, so if you have any others, let me know.

anything