Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Brand New Strawberry Shortcake knockoff... but why?  (Read 7461 times)

Offline ForeverKokiri

Brand New Strawberry Shortcake knockoff... but why?
« on: Friday 04 November 2011, 05:38 pm »
Her name is Little Miss Muffin and she's a Toys R Us exclusive.

She also folds into a cupcake.

But why would someone make this? Strawberry Shortcake looks nothing like this now, and all other attempts to revamp 80s style characters have been complete flops. Anyone remember when Rainbow Brite was rereleased exactly as she was in the 80s? She crowded the clearence shelves half a year later. The castle playset even played the theme song from the TV show. :( Made me so sad!

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
Re: Brand New Strawberry Shortcake knockoff... but why?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 2011, 06:05 pm »
I saw a commercial for these the other day, not sure if they are really ssc knockoffs, I think it is a different concept, I guess only time will tell to see how they do and how long they last.

Here is the commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPO0coVNH0
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 2011, 06:12 pm »
All I can say is, she is not cute! What were they thinking?

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 2011, 10:27 pm »
Aww, I think she's cute! Very very uncool that her clothes aren't real, though.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 2011, 10:41 pm »
ECP, how are they not Strawberry Shortcake knockoffs? The sweets theme, along with the tall hat, apron, striped socks, curly hair, and even the trademark freckles on the cheeks all smack of Strawberry Shortcake, at least her original incarnation.

I think she's absolutely adorable and I'm hoping she catches on ... I miss the 1980s chubby little kids style that TCFC brought about.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 12:40 am »
i say meh  i do not hate them nor do i really like them either.

Offline mouse

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 12:54 am »
ECP, how are they not Strawberry Shortcake knockoffs? The sweets theme, along with the tall hat, apron, striped socks, curly hair, and even the trademark freckles on the cheeks all smack of Strawberry Shortcake, at least her original incarnation.

I think she's absolutely adorable and I'm hoping she catches on ... I miss the 1980s chubby little kids style that TCFC brought about.

I don't know if you can really say it's a knock-off. It's the same theme, but the theme is popular. L'il Secrets, Cherry Merrgy Muffin, Cupcake Dolls, there's sweet themed barbies, sweet themed starcastles. Sweets are just fun!

They say that this decade has pretty much no new ideas - we're recycling old ones. There'sa  craving for nostalgia. So that's why they are making toys that that may seem like others. Also there's the possibility that whoever worked on this didn't base it on Strawberry Shortcake - maybe they always had an idea for a plush muffin doll? Also out at the moment are pet cakes which are puppies in cupcakes. http://www.thefunky-monkey.com/2011/01/petcakes-2-petcakes-giveaway.html

They're also doing blind bag pets - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12173708 which I think is a pretty cute idea (with the recipe card and cookie cutter) There's also a zip pull http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11892115 - blind bags are selling tool that's making a big comeback.

I can't find a pic of a zipper pull out of pack but mI'm guessing if it is plastic then it probably looks quite similar to a mini lalaloopsy.

It's got nostalgia, it's got blind bags, it's got a tried and tested theme (sweets, yum!), it has minis, it has pets. These are all things that are quite popular at the moment. I think it's more a case of trying to be on trend than making an outright knock-off of Strawberry Shortcake. It 's missing something though - I don't think the rag doll is very appealing but I would probably like the minis (it's small and collectable - it calls to me!)

http://www.plushez.com/happy-nappers-igloo-to-penguin/ - they also do these toys which are similar in concept (the whole transforming thing)

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 01:02 am »
I am not really found of this doll but nice try to who ever made it.

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 01:05 am »
Mouse well said and thanks for sharing the other new items as well.  I think it is a cute concept but missed a little on looks, also as was said earlier I think it would be more fun if the dresses came off and could be mixed and matched
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline Wardah

« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 07:04 am »
I think I would get the minis or the pets if anything. I am not a fan of cloth dolls but I love tiny things. It also would be nice if the designs were more varied.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 07:43 am »
Maybe it tested well with kids?

I ate out tonight and a family was having some sort of get together and one little girl had her toy pony on the table. Not a MLP. It was one of those giant CPK-looking ones that was hot pink. But she obviously loved it. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of them. ;)

I think our toy aesthetic changes a bit with age. We're so picky now!
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline mouse

« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 12:46 pm »
Maybe it tested well with kids?

I ate out tonight and a family was having some sort of get together and one little girl had her toy pony on the table. Not a MLP. It was one of those giant CPK-looking ones that was hot pink. But she obviously loved it. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of them. ;)

I think our toy aesthetic changes a bit with age. We're so picky now!

When you're little the most important thing is that you get something, and you get the biggest something you can cajole someone into buying for you!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 01:19 pm »
That is the truth. I know I always wanted gigantic stuffed animals. Luckily I got very few - which I of course have nowhere to store now...
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 01:48 pm »
Cute idea but not cute faces.

-Em
;)

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 01:53 pm »
Aww, they TOTALLY should have called those pet cakes PupCakes. Miss there. ;)