Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: You found that online!?!? Randomness :-)  (Read 6184 times)

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
You found that online!?!? Randomness :-)
« on: Tuesday 08 November 2011, 05:40 am »
Ok, so I know that I am going WAY of topic from toys here but I promise I will bring it back :-)  So over a month ago I was helping my mom clean out her kitchen when I accidentally dropped one of her baking dishes and of course it broke into multiple pieces.  She looked at me with a devastated look, gasped and said "that is my favorite dish and I have had it for over 30 years!!" I apologized over and over and of course felt awful and promised I would replace it which she of course immediately told me that I did not need to and that she understood it was an accident and that it was no big deal.  Of course I could tell by her reaction and the look on her face that it was.  I then proceeded to go online in an attempt to find a replacement.  It took me hours of searching before I was even able to find the correct line of dishes and then wouldn't you know this exact dish was next to impossible to find and then when I thought I did the picture on it was slightly different.  I was very discouraged and after weeks of searching for hours a day every day it was finally listed on ebay!!  I of course ordered it right away and when she got it she looked soooo happy and of course repeated that I didn't have to do it.  It has now been in her house over a week and yet it still sits on the counter- I think she is afraid to put it away and lord knows I am not going to touch it!!  ;-)

Oh and I forgot to mention in that time before finding a new dish she went to make baked macaroni and cheese, pulled out a dish and asked me if I thought it would work, I looked at her and said "mom, what do you normally use??" She just looked at me, talk about feeling even more guilty!!  :-/

So I know that was kind of a long story but I had to share and as I promised I am now bringing it back to toys!!  I am really amazed with the internet, this forum and other such sites, I mean where else can you recall toys and items from 20, 30, 40 + years ago, get on a machine and not only find a picture of the item but order it, pay for it and have it at your door in a matter of days?!?!  Sometimes though I feel like it kind of takes some of the fun out of having to go out to yard sale after yard sale rummaging through other people's things to find that 1 item you are looking for.  Anyway, I know that was kind of a rant I just get so amazed at things that are truly right at my finger tips, no matter how silly that may sound!  :-)
« Last Edit: Tuesday 08 November 2011, 05:46 am by ecpblue »
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline Mysstica

Re: You found that online!?!? Randomness :-)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 2011, 07:42 am »
It's totally true. And awesome. And I agree with you about it taking some of the fun out of it. I mean, I'd been looking for this one doll online for quit a while, but every one that I found was pretty expensive ($20 was the cheapest that I found, and she didn't have any clothes on, but the price went waaaay up to like $80 or some such). I was BLOWN AWAY when I saw that doll at a thrift store. I never, ever expected that to happen. And they only wanted $5 for her! :D And, although I wasn't looking for it, I found a CPK crimper this weekend for 25 cents. (I had bought the Crimp n Curl doll with her original clothes for $4, but thought that I'd have to order one online for... whatever outrageous price they were asking for it. -hehe-) But yeah, it's still much more exciting to find something that you're looking for when you're out and about as opposed to online, but it's definately still awesome that, most of the time, you can find just about anything that you're looking for for sale online.

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 2011, 05:24 pm »
I have to agree that the internet and ebay has taken all the fun out of finding toys at yard sales ect here. I find almost nothing toy wise now days that I would find all the time at yard sales and what not 10 years ago. I am always quite shocked when I find toys I used to find at flea markets for under a dollar now going for 20 or more .

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 2011, 05:24 am »
Wow, $50 compared to $80 is amazing!  Not only is it exciting to find something but it can be fun to dig through random bins and bags of toys as well, never knowing what you may find!  Rider, that stinks that there are not more toys in your area!!  I find a ton in mine, in fact I am kind of excited b/c a local toy store is going out of business, kind of a mom and pop place that has been there for over 30 years, even though it is sad that this pillar is closing its doors it is exciting that everything is discounted.  Also they have an attic and basement where they have stored TONS of toys over the last 30 years that did not sell and now all must go!!  I am headed there tomorrow to see what treasures I can find!!

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 2011, 02:15 pm »
ecp - That is AMAZING! Let us know if you find anything good. :D

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 2011, 12:30 am »
yah it has kinda made the flea market thing dry up but at the same time places like this site would not exist! In a way i love the internet and how it lets us connect to fellow enthusiasts so quickly. On top of that this to me is the perfect way to get feedback and negotiate on prices.

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 2011, 12:33 am »
ecpblue  I hope you find some great toys I miss all the mom and pop stores we used to have in my home town. Most have closed because they can not compete with the big box stores.

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 2011, 05:35 am »
Alright guys so it was so great!!!  I got a few messages about keeping an out for things which I certainly did but I need to clarity, it is not a typical toy store.  They focused on dolls, dollhouses, and specialty and unique items so I did not find any of the "typical" items we tend to talk about here although I did look!!  I only bought some doll house items, a few klutz books as presents and a small dragon kite the kind you see people inside of for Chinese new year.  They have not started emptying out the attic or basement yet so I will wait and watch and as you can see from the pics, they are getting kind of picked over so I think the good stuff should be coming soon!!  I hope!!!  Here are some pics of the store, enjoy!!

It really was a great place :-) oh and did I mention that it was my first job over 10 years ago?!?!  :-)

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 2011, 06:25 pm »
The 10th picture down, left-hand corner - what doll is that? She's AWESOME, and totally reminds me of the Seed of Chuckie movie. ;)

That looks like a huge store, and very well-kept. Bummer it's closing down!

Awesome that you used to work there. :D

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 November 2011, 11:56 pm »
wow what a place i will someday have to visit it thanks for the pics!

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 November 2011, 02:27 am »
Not sure Mysstica but here is a close up :-)

The store is quite large and used to have toys stuffed in ever corner and crevice! Really a staple in the community!

Sorry Inveder- it is closing down.....the store was sold to a new business developer who raised the rent price of the building and the store was not bringing in enough money to survive the price increase, I am kind of surprised they did not try to sell the business as it really did have items that could not be found anywhere else!!  I had fun taking pics :-)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 November 2011, 06:03 am »
I recognize her! She's a Marie Osmond doll. Adora Belle Lively Lucy.
http://cybdeals.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-marie-osmond-adora-belle-mop-tops.html

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 November 2011, 06:24 am »
Thanks, Batty! :D

Marie Osmond, eh? Hmm... the doll just lost a bit of its appeal. ;)

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 November 2011, 08:01 am »
Nice job Batty!! Mysstica, I know what you mean but she is still cute and unique!!!

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 November 2011, 08:12 am »
You're welcome. I'm not sure where I'd seen it but I remembered the face.
xD I appreciate Marie! She voiced Rose-Petal! That's about the only thing she's done that I really care for.. but that's beside the point!

anything
anything