Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: To de-box or not to de-box? That is the question.  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

To de-box or not to de-box? That is the question.
« on: Thursday 12 January 2012, 08:33 pm »
No pictures yet because class starts in 7 minutes, and I also don't have a camera with me.

Today I went toy hunting and ended up with the MLP Plumsweet for my MIB G4 collection, two Bella Sara figures, Humphrey the Teenie Beanie, and then Steg the Teenie Beaie MOC.

Now, I'm a MIB kind of girl. I usually don't de-box if I can help it. I've also only just recently resumed collecting Beanie Babies so I can't really remember the protocol for Teenies. Normally I would just keep him inside, but the plastic is yellowing and kind of gross, and bent. It's also a bit dusty, and the card is yellowing just as well. BUT the plastic may be able to be bent back into shape... I think... I haven't had a chance to try with it yet.

Would the gods of the Beanies smite me if I took him out? He's so cute and I kind of want to... especially since I never had any dinosaur Beanies at all. But yet... the box itself is in embarrassing shape. Thoughts? What would you do?

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline Rider of the storm

Re: To de-box or not to de-box? That is the question.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 2012, 11:49 pm »
I will open toys if they meet one  the fallowing conditions
1. The toy was so massively produced they are not worth much
2. The box is heavily  damaged and beyond repair but that is just me. I happen to like having my toys lose on display and I put the boxes in a storage box.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 2012, 02:13 am »
I think I'll go ahead and take him out. The box IS damaged and I'm sure there are plenty of MOCs floating around. I didn't even know at first that even the back of the card has some tears in it!  :'( Plus, he's soooo cute and if BBs DO come back in style, at least he'll be minty.

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 2012, 03:37 am »
If the package is that damaged I would take him out before he becomes damaged as well!
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline puffypoogle

« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 2012, 09:27 pm »
You have to ask yourself are you collecting for an investment or enjoyment.  I love out of box toys to hold and look at and they look great on display.  If it is a old item I would not debox if box is in tact and nice looking however if the plastic has come loose on the front or severly damaged debox and enjoy.  If it is a new item get two one to debox and one to keep in box.   Good luck with your decision..I have battled with this one before also.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 2012, 11:33 pm »
when De-boxing also keep in mind if it has a plastic bubble it may later on start to react with the plastic of the said toy.  I have seen many an action figure that has had paint come off by removing it from the box due to the reaction of the plastic of the toy and the bubble.  Also some boxes with plastic may become very brittle depending on how it was stored. There is no way really to say how it will react to the toy.

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 2012, 01:04 am »
Good point!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 January 2012, 02:10 am »
These are all very good points guys, and I have made my decision.

(Since the intent is to try for a complete or near-complete collection of the vintage [pre-1999] Beanie Babies for my OWN children someday, I don't see why not. At least he'll be minty when they get him as a toy, and he'll be minty in the meantime with me as a collector's item on display.)

Plus, see how happy he looks in his natural habitat?

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 January 2012, 02:18 am »
VERY cute! oh and good choice!!