Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Why do toy companies mess up classic toys?  (Read 8920 times)

Offline luckdragon

Why do toy companies mess up classic toys?
« on: Thursday 06 September 2012, 03:06 pm »
Seriously?  Pound Puppies are back but they look like this:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13315643
Ugh!  That's a Littlest Pet Shop rip-off!

Speaking of Littlest Pet Shop, am I alone in thinking they are hideous now?  I remember when Kenner made them in the late 1980s-mid 1990s how cute they were and creative.  Now, it's a big head with big eyes and a small body.  I used to love LPS, especially the horses/ponies.  The horses they make now are pretty much the same size as their other LPS toys.  This: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3410932594_285e07fdd7.jpg
is not as cute as this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vtg-Littlest-Pet-Shop-Crystal-Sparkling-Pony-horse-set-1994-Kenner-complete-/00/s/NjM4WDEwMjQ=/$%28KGrHqJHJCwE91G,siePBPm,HdGWP!~~60_57.JPG
There just isn't a comparison to me.

Strawberry Shortcake doesn't look as good to me either, but it's more forgivable than what they've done to LPS.  And I don't like My Little Pony compared to the old ones from the 1980s.  Or Care Bears (I think they've died down again).  Carlton Cards owns Care Bears, and it's interesting that they do still make some that look vintage.

At least Slyvanian Families made over as Calico Critters still look correct.

Anyone else agree?  Disagree?

Offline hime

Re: Why do toy companies mess up classic toys?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 2012, 10:15 pm »
The only problem I have with hasro's ssc is the fact thier Plum puddin doesn't wear glasses(I drew glasses on the ones I own and they look much better)

as for why it's about making money off of what worked in the past they change things thinking that today's kids would dig how they were "back in the day" but sometimes they fail so bad at it (hasbro's recent Rainbow brite attempt and the 2002 motu come to mind) hoever I must admit I prefer the current ssc to the early 2000's one.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 2012, 12:52 am »
I think that the new LPS are really cute, BUT here's the difference - I didn't play with LPS as a child.

I am totally put off with the whole anime look of the new MLP.

I think that mostly I'm upset about Barbie. I realize that the change is constantly evolving, and while I don't like how they look, my real problem is how they're made. Plastic, really? :( SO SAD!!!

Offline pikapal

« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 2012, 01:16 am »
I didn't really like the new PJ Sparkles design.

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 2012, 02:23 am »
Barbie doesn't bug me too much.  I think she looks way older than a teenager now, and it's almost like a throwback to the 1960s Barbies where they looked quite a bit older than a teen.  1970s-early 2000s, they seemed to look like teenagers in the face.

What bugs me about Barbie now is that they barely make clothes that children can buy separately.  Yes, they have the Fashionistas and I Can Be... clothing lines, but it's nothing compared to Barbie pre-2000.  I remember when I played with Barbie in the mid-1980s to early-1990s, half of the Barbie aisle was clothes.  And not just for Barbie!  They had clothes for Ken*, Skipper, Stacie, even Kevin (Skipper's boyfriend). 

*Ken does have clothes available now for separate purchase under the Fashionista line

Oh!  I totally forgot this one:

Polly Pocket!  What is up with that?!  Polly Pocket was named Polly Pocket because you could actually fit the compact playsets in your pocket!  I remember my first Polly Pocket set when I was in kindergarten, Midge's Play School.  I remember it was yellow and square shaped, and I remember putting it in my back jean pocket to carry it around the house.  I feel nostalgic about Polly Pocket, but I can't stand what they turned into.

Offline pikapal

« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 2012, 06:45 am »
I agree about not being able to find individual Barbie outfits. They are usually sold in expensive sets now.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 September 2012, 03:58 pm »
Yes, Polly Pocket! I didn't play with Polly Pocket when I was a child, but that was the whole thing - the fact that she was so small. I can't believe they changed the size! BUT it's selling, right? Wow!

Offline jadedoz

« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 September 2012, 11:31 pm »
I agree about the modern LPS been gross. But what I find really disturbing is the new Baby Alive dolls, they are hideous, they look like aliens or something...

Offline RBSprite82

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 2012, 01:23 am »
I honestly don't pay any attention to anything new. I don't go to toy stores because they have so little for my little boy, I buy almost everything I get him online. I did buy a Baby Alive for my niece for Christmas this year, though.. I didn't realize it when I bought it but she does look a little off. lol Oh well, I'm sure she'll be loved. =)

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 2012, 05:08 am »
Yes, Baby Alive is just ugly.  But, they really have hardly no competition.  That's the problem!  Cabbage Patch Kids that look slightly off, Disney toddlerized princesses (and now the matching toddler princes), FP's Little Mommy dolls, and generic store brands that tend to look like they have death's stare or something.  I mean, honestly, if your child wants a baby doll, I'd go through American Girls and buy Bitty Baby.  It's high in price, but it looks like a good quality baby doll.  Granted, if I ever have a little girl, I'll just buy My Child dolls and restore them for the girl to play with.  Or 80s Cabbage Patch Kids.  I collect My Child dolls and restore them, so I can definitely do it for a child.

I work in a toy store, so I see toys multiple times a week.  I'm always amazed at how horrible some of the toys are.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 2012, 05:42 am »
I really like the Berenguer Li'l Cutesies dolls: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lil+cutesies&_sacat=237&_odkw=berenguer+twins&_sop=15&_osacat=237 I think they're adorable, and they're so cheap - about $8 at the Walmart here! My li'l girl has one, and it seems to be very good quality.

I agree about buying 80s and 90s toys for your kids, except one thing... they're going to miss out on the SHARED nostaligia of toys (like we have here with one another) when they grow up. That's why we try to mix the old and the new. :P

Even if toys are corny, kids are kids and something will grab their attention, and they're going to want to take it home and play with it. :P

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 September 2012, 04:04 pm »
I personally don't mind the gen 4 ponies my issue with them is the poor quality control. I have seen them with the wrong cutie marks, wrong body and head, cut manes, double tail holes, manes that are cut super short with extra hair glued to them, and extra glue!  I even got to see one that had what looked like a melted eye ! That is what bothers me with them right now it seems quantity has gone up while quality work has gone down.

Offline catlover51

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 September 2012, 05:15 pm »
I'm not a fan of any mlps except gen 1 but I have to say the new pets are too cute.

Offline *emmy*lou*

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 November 2012, 11:08 pm »
I think that the new LPS are really cute, BUT here's the difference - I didn't play with LPS as a child.

I am totally put off with the whole anime look of the new MLP.

I totally agree! I have a real thing about the new MLPs - they are much too skinny!! They used to look wholesome and sweet when I had them as a kid, and how cute were the G1/G2 baby ponies?? Now they have gone the way of most girl's toys with the 'anime' look e.g very slim, ridiculously big eyes and little pointy faces! Call me old fashioned but really don't like the whole Disney/anime look for girl's toys!

Offline dog717

« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 September 2013, 11:26 pm »
Well the new Pound Puppies are from the new series that's currently airing on the Hub. The plushes are basically Pound Puppies in name only. They don't have that trademark floppy, huggable style that the 80's or even the 90's versions have. I just buy 80's Pound Puppies off eBay. They're the best versions anyway.

As for new Littlest Pet Shop, my problem with them is a lot of times you can't even tell what animal they are. They're stylized to the point of being ridiculous. They look like animal versions of Bratz dolls. I don't think they're ugly exactly. I just don't like how ambiguous their species can be at times. Is it a dog or a bunny? A cat or a wolf? They all pretty much look the same aside from colors. And I can't help thinking the whole bobble head thing ain't so great. It seems like the heads would pop off really easily. It seems like they'd be fragile.

anything