Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: 1984 Scented Praise Dolls  (Read 14380 times)

Offline Eilonwe

1984 Scented Praise Dolls
« on: Monday 19 April 2010, 06:00 pm »
I'm on a SSC-inspired doll kick and I came across these two on eBay.

They're quite cute, if not the best made of the knockoffs.

And the box is the best part. It basically tells people to brainwash their kids with these toys. Good smells + doll play + Bible verses = better Christian children.

And they get self-righteous on the side of the box, saying their company produces the "right" toys for children.  ;D

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: 1984 Scented Praise Dolls
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 09:41 pm »
Interesting. :-P

They have some knock-off Care Bears poseables that are kind of similar. For some reason I envision them being sold at the Cross Way bookstores (or whatever they had back in the day).
« Last Edit: Monday 19 April 2010, 09:49 pm by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 10:36 pm »
LOL. Seems lazy to just copy SSC and then slap bible verses on them.  ??? They should have been Francesca Frankincense and Mariah Myrrh or something. I have to give them some props though--I looked up the verses on their dresses and Ephesians 5:2 DOES refer to fragrance.

If you look up "'Praise Unlimited' toys" on Google an article about the company comes up, if anyone wants more info. Interesting stuff...

Does anyone else think they almost look like more of a knock-off of the TNT dolls than the TNT dolls look like a knock-off of SSC? It's probably just the pigtails.
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 2010, 02:58 am »
haha! That is hilarious! Love it! I guess it is also a good way to get a kid interested in religion too though..

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 April 2010, 03:27 am »
They should have been Francesca Frankincense and Mariah Myrrh or something.

I would have bought those in a second. I collect Magi stuff.

Does anyone else think they almost look like more of a knock-off of the TNT dolls than the TNT dolls look like a knock-off of SSC? It's probably just the pigtails.

These came out in 1984, so they would actually predate the TNTs.

Galatian Bears:

I think those are really cute! Why are the toys so cute and yet they have to be graffitied with Bible references? *sigh* I might have to track down Self-Control Bear though. Maybe he'd help me spend less money if I stood him by my laptop.

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 April 2010, 05:48 am »
I think those are really cute! Why are the toys so cute and yet they have to be graffitied with Bible references? *sigh* I might have to track down Self-Control Bear though. Maybe he'd help me spend less money if I stood him by my laptop.

LOL! Maybe he should be at the top page of this site next to "ghost of the doll" instead of the baby doll outline, because I've been buying a lot more toys since this forum opened.  :P
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline mouse

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 April 2010, 12:32 pm »

I think you'd need a 'fat chance' bear sitting right next to it!

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 April 2010, 04:16 pm »
Ha! True.

Offline kidswholesale123

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 2015, 12:54 pm »
Lovely dolls, really cute.

anything