Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: The Fantastic World of Lisa Frank - Plush and Beanies (Pics!)  (Read 40037 times)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
The Fantastic World of Lisa Frank - Plush and Beanies (Pics!)
« on: Friday 23 April 2010, 07:45 pm »
Lisa Frank to me is just very iconic of the 80s/90s (it's still around, I know, but not as big a deal as back then).

Obviously they made stationary, notebooks, stickers, etc.

But there were also other items (and you could join the club, etc.)

Pamphlet Photos: (They are very large files, so click the link. The 1994 plush seem to be on there)
Side One
Side Two

I've also come across some PVC figures. These are usually hard for people to identify if they don't recognize the characters. Or know that L.F.I. stands for Lisa Frank, Inc. (I believe that's the marking). I've only ever seen the PVC loose, though, so I don't know what their packaging looks like. Actually, I did read on one auction that PVCs were from 1993 and came with Wal-Mart kid's meals. I remember that before there were Super Wal-Marts with Subways and McDonald's inside there used to be a restaurant inside our Wal-Mart. I just didn't eat there, but I guess there was a Kid's Meal prize?

As for the beanies: granted the Fantastic Beans/Bean Buddies are kind of a TY copy-cat. They're about 8", I think. But TY were just so boring and the Lisa Frank animal characters are awesome! And the Jumbo Beans are so soft. I haven't completely figured out those yet... there is like a large when and then a jumbo sized one so I don't know what they are specifically called. I think one size is about 16" and the other is around 24". I think even the large ones, though, are filled with the microbeads. I think the date is 1998 (I think that's about when I remember getting mine).

Of course, they also put out some large plush and beanie babies during that whole craze. Luckily it was a very limited series since they only have so many characters (not the craziness of TY). Anyways, I thought the toy merchandise they put out would be a good category. Mainly the PVC (I really enjoy collecting PVC figures) but figure the plush shouldn't be left out either. :)

None of her stuff is ever dated... but I think it's mid to late 90s. There might be a few reissues. The hang tag is really large (same size on beanies and larger plush) so you can use it to judge the size since in a photo with no size reference it is sometimes hard to tell.

Tush tag.

Logo wise, this is old-school 80's (font style, even if it didn't have a date). I think when they brought it into the 90s they rainbowfied it.

This is the current logo/font style:

I of course love the rainbow one from the mid to late 90s that is used on the Fantastic Beans tags.

Also, I think the artwork in the 90s was the best. Compare:

(1988)

I love the style of the koala and the animals and all the other animals they did.

Also, found a commercial for Lisa Frank brand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWhhBM5xfeo

I had those jewelry bead kits that came in the tray. So much fun. And they special plastic beads in the shapes of the characters. :)
« Last Edit: Sunday 25 April 2010, 12:23 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

Re: The Fantastic World of Lisa Frank - PVC Figures, Plush, and Beanies
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 April 2010, 08:38 pm »
(Also, see Page 3 for more pics of beanies and plush from DarkAnjel77's collection).

First, some of the older plush toys:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/thezuse/Ghost%20of%20the%20Doll/lisafrankplaytime1.jpg?t=1272762183
24K Special Effects

Markie: Item #2031

Playtime(?) (1995)

Casey

(eBay)

(eBay)

(eBay)

------------------

Next, PVC:
(Updated: Definitely a fast food premium in 1993 that came with Wal-Mart Kid's Meals. Were they available anywhere else?)

"Sneaker Kitties"

I'm not who the bird is either:

"Hollywood Bear"

Casey (my photo)

Ballerina Bunny (this was originally posted farther down in the thread by Zap18)

Markie Unicorn (originally posted farther down in the thread)

http://www.kathysfastfoodtoys.com/Walmart.html

----------------------------------

Some of the Fantastic Beans/Bean Buddies Characters:

Panda Painter

Violet and Velvet

(a newer edition? The hang tang is different and looks more "current")

Markie

Rainbow Chaser

(Jumbo Beans)

Sunflower

Twinkle

Playtime

(my image)

Candy

Casey

Buzz

Lollipop

Hunter

http://mistystar.com/inventory/2091.php

Forest

Skye:

Max Splash

Skeeter

I'm pretty sure all these beanies are Series 1. I've seen Roary (polar bear) in thrift stores before but couldn't find any pics just now. Also couldn't find a separate pic of Candy and Rose. I'm sure I'm missing tons more, but that's a start! I actually own most of these back home, I think.

Some of the ones like Oinky the pig, Frog Princess and the Easter series... I don't really recognize the characters. Are those newer?

Mayzi (I do NOT remember this character?!?)

Oinky (looks like a later style?)

Frog Princess (?!?)

Miss Furonica

Sweet Tweet

Prettipaws (Series 1 Spring Beans)

Bonnie

Hop Diggity

(eBay)

April

There's another one called Boopsidoodle that I haven't found a good individual picture of, yet.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 24 June 2015, 02:36 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline EricaVee

I was thinking of requesting a section for Lisa Frank but I just couldn't fathom a list of every product produced! But I did not know there was a toy line--that seems a reasonable way to include LF here. I love the "beans" ones.

And nothing to do with the toy line, but my absolute FAVORITE LF product was this jewelry-making kit I got for Easter once. Oh man, I made SO much jewelry from that, it was huge and I lasted forever. One of the charms from it was identified here a long time ago. I just loved everything Lisa Frank and still do, although the girl/human characters they have now are pretty lame. LF should only be kittens and unicorns and leopards and anthropomorphic pandas who paint houses.
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline zuse

DEFINITELY the bead kits. I mentioned them up above. I guess that's a craft toy. :-P

I know I had the set with the purple tray and one with the hot pink tray. I loved those character-shaped beads. I guess each bead set had a name/theme... I don't remember what mine were. I liked the star charms/beads that were like transparent plastic. :)

---------------

Also, I guess they HAVE rereleased the beanies?

Other later ones? (around  2003ish?)

« Last Edit: Saturday 24 April 2010, 02:57 am by zuse »

Offline zap18

Re: The Fantastic World of Lisa Frank - Plush and Beanies (Pics!)
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 02:45 am »
I can round up pics later if zuse doesn't beat me to it, but there is also a unicorn pvc, a ballerina bunny pvc, and a big Hollywood bear plush.  Oh, and the doll line- both the 12" and 9" versions (should be three of each).

Offline zuse

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 02:49 am »
I refuse to acknowledge the doll line!

I found this, but someone said in the place it was posted it was part of a stamper... so not really a toy, then?

I think I'm done! There's not much more for me to find currently online. And in the past few years I haven't been very interested in Lisa Frank stuff so I don't have a nifty folder of saved images for her vintage stuff. Darn! There never seems to be much at once, but I wish I'd been watching it over the past few years.

P.S. I just copied/pasted hot-links in here as I found them when I was browsing earlier and just organized them as I went. So, they'll need to be saved or some of the pics might start disappearing soon!
« Last Edit: Saturday 24 April 2010, 02:54 am by zuse »

Offline zap18

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 03:00 am »
The unicorn is definitely a PVC, I have it.  And I guess I will find my pic of the ballerina bunny later.  I'm lazy tonight :P

Just because the dolls have enormous heads, stick bodies, and disco era clothing is no reason to go hating on them, yo.  Or because the 9" body mold is the same as brittany spears dolls. 

I enjoy them for their weirdness next to my disney 9" dolls.  There.  I admitted it.

Offline zuse

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 03:03 am »
I judge you. ::)

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 04:42 am »
I love the doll line! They're awesome. And I don't see how they're any more bizarre than the beanbags.  :P

I have the ballerina bunny PVC if a pic is needed.

Offline zuse

« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 04:58 am »
Ok... they're not horrible. But back when I was into Lisa Frank there WERE no humans. So, when they finally did introduce them it was in that Bratz doll/Steve Madden style. Which still isn't my cup of tea. I'm a Barbie girl! :-D

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 05:51 am »
I'm a "pretty much every doll" kind of girl. It's immodest, but I have one of the most varied doll collections of anyone I know. I get told that a lot.

Offline zuse

« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 06:36 am »
That's awesome!

Right now I'm at the point where I'd rather learn about toys than actively collect them. I have too many and nowhere to display them.

And I'm just being silly about the doll thing. I'm not being serious, haha. I actually really did get so carried away looking up the animals I totally forgot the dolls! :-*
« Last Edit: Sunday 25 April 2010, 02:10 am by zuse »

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 07:27 am »
I'm much worse than that. I don't have much space, but I still collect so much stuff! If I learn about something new, then I go "WANT!" and end up with it. (Like the knockoff SSCs...)

Offline mouse

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 01:40 pm »
I want those PVC's. NOW. I like th stationary too but I try not to collect stationary because it just sits there and doesn't get used because I don't want to 'ruin' it. I don't mind pens though because you can always replace the ink, and thinks like sharpeners and pencil toppers and things you can't ruin - unlike notepads or pencils. Even if you aren't 'using' toys at least they can be displayed - or if you have too many you can store them in boxes and have fun rummaging through every once in a while!

Offline mouse

« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 April 2010, 04:32 pm »
For organisational purposes, this person has listed what they say is the complete first set of beanies released in 1998:
PLAYTIME KITTEN

RAINBOW CHASER

SUNFLOWER KITTEN

MARKIE

VIOLET

CANDY

PANDA PAINTER

BUZZ

CASEY

HUNTER

MAX SPLASH

LOLLIPOP
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LISA-FRANK-WHOLE-SET-SERIES-1-FANTASTIC-BEANS-1998_W0QQitemZ310214093022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item483a3368de

anything