Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Lady Lovely Locks, L'il Miss Singing Mermaid Questions  (Read 5610 times)

Offline garagesailor

• The Pink Box Project
Lady Lovely Locks, L'il Miss Singing Mermaid Questions
« on: Saturday 18 January 2014, 04:24 pm »
Hello, I have a few questions about these dolls.

On the Lady Lovely Locks dolls, I've noticed most of the time when I come across them, they have really sticky legs, and a lot of the time, many are discolored with blotchy skin. I'm assuming this is a common problem? Does anyone know why this happens, or have any solutions?

For L'il Miss Singing Mermaid, why is it so hard to squeeze her to make her sing?? I've had several of these, and every time, it is near impossible for me, let alone a child, to get her to sing. The plastic is very hard. Is this due to age? Anyone else notice this, or know why it is?

thanks for any info! these are just little curiosities i've come across. :)
Check out my Barbie ID Website!
http://www.pinkboxproject.com

Offline pikapal

Re: Lady Lovely Locks, L'il Miss Singing Mermaid Questions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 2014, 10:38 pm »
I have a Lil Miss Singing Mermaid doll I've had since childhood, and she was hard to squeeze even back then. It's not an age thing. I think when I was a kid I used to put my knee or one foot to make the doll sing.

Offline garagesailor

• The Pink Box Project
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 2014, 12:23 am »
lol - so essentially, it's probably just a design flaw. i saw somewhere on the box it says to just give her a hug and she'll sing. yeah right!
Check out my Barbie ID Website!
http://www.pinkboxproject.com

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 January 2014, 04:18 am »
The reason the legs get sticky is because of the plastic they are made from.  Barbie dolls from the same time period have the same problem (LLL and Barbie are both made by Mattel, so it makes sense).

The deterioration cannot be reversed.  To remove the sticky feeling, get some baby powder and coat the legs.  Then, wipe it off (don't wash it off).  I've done that with Cabbage Patch Kids shoes, and it works like a charm.  Wipe them well to try to get most of the powder off so the legs don't look white.

I don't know about the discoloration.  My LLL dolls are in storage, so I haven't laid eyes on them in months.

Offline EmBee

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 February 2014, 02:50 pm »
That lovely stickiness is from the plasticiser "leaking out" of the plastic (it's there for the purpose of making the plastic soft).  It will eventually stop and the doll will become harder.  I've had a couple Li'l Miss Mermaids and one of them even cracked on her side when I squeezed her too hard (in vain).

So just be a little more gentle with the hard-bodied toys and patiently keep washing/wiping until the ick is gone.  :)

-Em
;)