Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: typing turtle or turtle typewriter?  (Read 6421 times)

Offline jape41

typing turtle or turtle typewriter?
« on: Friday 21 August 2015, 10:14 pm »
Anyone remember a toy from the early to mid eighties which was either a "turtle typewriter" or "turtle typer"?  I'm tying to identify the product name and possibly the manufacturer.  I remember seeing it in the christmas sears catalog or the consumers catalog published for ontario canada.  My vague recollection was that it was either some kind of childs mechanical typewriter or an electronic device with some sort of keyboard.  Perhaps it would speak letters as you type?  I'd expect it to be green, probably in the shape of a turtle.

I am not looking for a speak and spell.

Obviously I've already tried google, and have clicked through online archives of mid eighties sears wishbooks.

My local library only has the sears fall/winter catalogs, not the sears wishbooks.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Offline auntiekara80

Re: typing turtle or turtle typewriter?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 2016, 02:37 am »
I remember a giant turtle with a piano keyboard that played music when you plunked the keys, however I don't remember what it was called or who made it.

Offline jape41

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 2016, 12:57 pm »
Thanks for the thought, but I don't think it was a piano or a musical instrument.  I'm pretty sure "typing" was part of it though.

Offline Medoria

« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 2016, 07:31 am »
Generic Turtle or TMNT?

Or maybe it wasn't a turtle but it was a dinosaur?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/2098592539/in/album-72157603419794725/

Offline jape41

« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 August 2016, 07:23 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, but it definitely wasn't TMNT and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a piano.  Given how it's hard to find in the catalogues, I'm wondering if it might have been a product local to canada or only available a single year.

It was definitely in the 80s probably sightly after the speak and spell era.

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 2016, 09:54 pm »
This is PianoSaurus, which sounds like one of the ID ideas above (although not what you're looking for unfortunately!). They came in several colours in the early 1980's:

Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

Offline robinharper

• Kitty Care and Puppy Care from Hornby
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 August 2016, 11:10 pm »
That is freaking adorable!  :-*
Come visit my site about Kitty Care and Puppy Care from Hornby: http://kitty-care.webnode.nl/

Come and take a look on my site dedicated to toys of the eighties, mostly in kitty cat form: http://toys-of-the-eighties.webnode.nl/index/

anything