Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: What are these dolls?  (Read 5024 times)

Offline squirrelypaws

What are these dolls?
« on: Monday 18 December 2017, 12:36 am »
I picked these guys up in my thrift travels a few years ago, and I was never able to ID them. Maybe you guys can help me?

First up, this lamb-monkey-baby... thing.

She reminds me a bit of a Monchichi, style-wise, though she's older and quite a bit bigger than any of the (admittedly very few) Monchichis I've seen. She's about 14" long. No body tags, but she does have "(C) Animals Plus" stamped at the base of her face plate, along with a year that I THINK is 1975 but might be 1977.

And next, this little dude:

The head/face looks a lot like a Kewpie, but he has no tags or markings at all; not even a spot that looks like a tag was cut off. He's about 6 inches tall. I thought maybe he was from some sort of make-your-own-doll kit because of the lack of tags/markings, but he seems professionally-made.
« Last Edit: Saturday 10 February 2018, 03:32 pm by squirrelypaws »

Offline Kathleen

• Vintage toys and other treasures
Re: What are these dolls?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 2018, 07:24 pm »
I picked these guys up in my thrift travels a few years ago, and I was never able to ID them. Maybe you guys can help me?

First up, this lamb-monkey-baby... thing.

She reminds me a bit of a Monchichi, style-wise, though she's older and quite a bit bigger than any of the (admittedly very few) Monchichis I've seen. She's about 14" long. No body tags, but she does have "(C) Animals Plus" stamped at the base of her face plate, along with a year that I THINK is 1975 but might be 1977.

This one looks a lot like vintage Rushton dolls, but I can't find this particular one on Google.

Offline squirrelypaws

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 2018, 02:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply. ^_^

I just looked up Rushton dolls, and she does definitely look like the same style. Though her face is relatively hard; it feels like plastic to me. Did Rushton ever make any dolls with plastic faces?
« Last Edit: Wednesday 09 May 2018, 03:02 pm by squirrelypaws »

Offline milkypuppy

• Tinkerbell's Toybox: A Tinkerbell Cosmetic Blog
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 2018, 04:14 pm »
The style reminds me of the Sekiguchi (who also makes monchichi) Nyamy kittens. It even looks like you can pose it to be sucking it's thumb like many of the dolls that look similar to the kittens.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 09 May 2018, 04:16 pm by milkypuppy »
Tinkerbell's Toybox: A Tinkerbell Cosmetic Blog

anything