Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: The Baby-Sitters Club  (Read 22301 times)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Last Edit: Friday 21 May 2010, 01:15 pm by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline WordFuzion

• Inner Child Eternal
Re: The Baby-Sitters Club
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 2010, 10:14 pm »
AWESOME! I just started re-reading the series for the first time since I was a kid! It's sort of fun, going after an out of print series that's not always easy to find. It's a book quest! :D

I started with the first one I read as a kid, #9 "The Ghost At Dawn's House" and then read the Graphic Novels that are #1 #3 #4 and #7 in the normal series. Now I'm just grabbing whatever I can find wherever I can find it and checking it off the list. :D

<3 Mare

Looking for: SWEETIE PUPS!!!! CBC Brave Heart Lion, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Fluppy Dogs, 80's/90's Playline Barbie, Pound Puppies, Alley Kats, Beanie Babies, Kitty Kitty Kittens, Yum Yums, Rose Petal Place, Wrinkles, Popples, Large My Pet Monster and Pooch Patrol.

Offline zuse

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 May 2010, 11:19 pm »
Yeah! One of my favorites was in the Mystery Series (The Surfer Ghost). Granted a lot of the BSC mysteries weren't *really* mysteries, haha. After all the ghostwriters started writing the series jumped the shark a bit, as they say. ;)

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 2010, 03:52 am »
I love the BSC. I'm partway through my rereading, currently on #53.

Offline WordFuzion

• Inner Child Eternal
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 May 2010, 12:55 am »
@zuse  I'm a Twilight fan, so obviously I'm pretty laid back in my standards of literature. Sometimes it's okay just to have a fun read and that's what I love about the BSC books. Not to mention they're a time warp for me of growing up in the 80's and 90's. Nostalgia...I haz it. ;)
<3 Mare

Looking for: SWEETIE PUPS!!!! CBC Brave Heart Lion, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Fluppy Dogs, 80's/90's Playline Barbie, Pound Puppies, Alley Kats, Beanie Babies, Kitty Kitty Kittens, Yum Yums, Rose Petal Place, Wrinkles, Popples, Large My Pet Monster and Pooch Patrol.

Offline zuse

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 May 2010, 01:30 am »
@zuse  I'm a Twilight fan, so obviously I'm pretty laid back in my standards of literature.

« Last Edit: Saturday 22 May 2010, 01:49 am by zuse »

Offline princess_lucy

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 July 2010, 08:29 pm »
I let my Mum sell all my Babysitters Club books at a carboot sale, BIG MISTAKE! lol I had all the specials and everything in perfect condition :(

Offline Ianua

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 2010, 11:33 am »
My mum had a penfriend in Canada who used to send me these books for Christmas birthdays e.t.c and sorry to disagree with you guys but even as an 8 year old I found them to be ineloquently written mindless c**p.
The characters were more 2 dimensional than the paper they were written on.
This series made sweet valley high look like Jane Austin you should all be ashamed of yourselves for adding to the problems of illiteracy by considering these to be books. For shame people. :)
Oh and princess lucy I feel it was a big mistake to let your mother sell these idiotic boring books to poor unsuspecting children. The only other thing I remember is they came with free bookmarks to collect of the characters. Anyone else have them?

Ok rant over :)
« Last Edit: Friday 09 July 2010, 05:49 pm by Ianua »

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 2010, 06:07 pm »
I think that was very rude. You insulted people and that is completely unnessecary and horrible! You may not like these books, but who cares what you like. Some people really enjoy these, probably because they remind them of their childhood. I like a lot of things that may sound dorky to most people my age, so it is nice to be able to find kindred souls who enjoy them too. Honestly, if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.

Offline catlover51

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 July 2010, 01:00 am »
Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.

Offline princess_lucy

« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 July 2010, 08:40 am »
And most certainly don't say "for shame people". That's not even a sentence.

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 July 2010, 04:35 pm »
Everybody's got a right to like what they like. It is pretty rude to come into a thread where we're enjoying talking about something and spout off like you're intellectually superior for not liking these books. So not necessary.

ANYWAY, so who's everyone's favorite character?

In childhood, mine was Mallory. I read a lot, loved to write, and hated volleyball in gym. I didn't have anything else in common with her, but those things alone made me relate to her more than the others. Although poor Mallory never got the best treatment in the books. And I was surprised how many people who still love the BSC hate Mallory! I still like her, though not as much as others now. Mary Anne and Stacey have gotten to be my faves, but that could change, as I'm still rereading!

Offline flowersinherhair

« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 July 2010, 05:42 pm »
Oh, I loved these books as a kid! I was really into them when I was 7 and 8, and maybe a little beyond that. Honestly, I don't remember a whole lot about them now, but if I came across any copies it might be fun to re-read them. I never owned any of the chapter books, as I got them all out of my school library, but I did have a really cool "chain letter" book! The premise was that they were all apart from each other during the summer, and wrote chain letters to keep in touch. The book had real envelopes glued inside that contained the letters that you could take out and read. One of them even had a friendship bracelet tucked inside! Oh man, I really hope I kept that book, but I can't remember!

Offline Ianua

« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 July 2010, 05:48 pm »
Just like the Jolly postman  ;D

Offline princess_lucy

« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 July 2010, 11:46 pm »
I named my hamster Mallory after the character lol! Aaaaah childhood obsessions...

anything
anything