Welcome to Powder Monki!
- D.A.R.Y.L.Q.U.E.S.T.21st Apr 2018I quick browse through the charity shops on my way home Wednesday found me a sci-fi double of Galaxy Quest and D.A.R.Y.L., both in excellent nick. I love Galaxy Quest and we watched it straight away but I haven't seen D.A.R.Y.L. in years, so by Grabthar's Hammer, I will watch it this weekend!
- Frasier’s Bleak Maze20th Apr 2018We popped over to Rayleigh last Saturday for a snoop around the charity shops (and a few pints in The Half Moon), and found a selection of books and TV series DVD's, including series one of Frasier, BBC's Bleak House, and the first three Maze Runner books.
- Teenage Mutant Fantasy Pigs14th Apr 2018I couldn't do a trip back to the homeland (Bath) without perusing the charity shops along Mooreland Road last Monday. I came back with two modern reprints of Fighting Fantasy books, a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles book, and two "Well-Loved Tales" Ladybird books. I also bought Leon, Amelie, and Twilight.
- Powerpuff Girls7th Apr 2018Whilst out charity shopping in Westcliff last weekend we also popped into Argosy Toys where I found two Powerpuff Girls figures at half price (£2.50 each). As soon as we returned home I ordered the third one from eBay (£5.99) which swiftly turned up on Thursday.
- The Best Of Monster Dolly4th Apr 2018I found an excellent mixture of items in Westcliff's various charity shops on Saturday, including three LP's, two annuals (Jackie & Magpie), a little Bagpus, a Lalaloopsy doll, a plush Moshi Monster, and my best find of the day, a Dolly Surprise doll from 1987!
- My Little Dalek Trilogy31st Mar 2018Wednesday's charity shop finds were and amusing mix! I found three My Little Ponies, a Forgotten Realms trilogy box set, and a well-loved Doctor Who "Dalek Sec Hybrid" mask!
Pall Mall ~ Cigarette Adverts [1954-1956] “Reward Yourself”
"Reward yourself!" These ads for Pall Mall cigarettes date from 1954-56. As per their previous ad campaigns, all illustrations of happy smokers were black and white, with red text on the white background or white text on a solid red background. […]
The Good Life ~ Men’s Fashion Shoot [Ebony, 1973]
"If you’ve got it, flaunt it - elegantly!" Ebony magazine’s April 1973 fashion shoot for men was all about colourful leisure looks with comfort, class, plaid and pinstripes. The photoshoot took the "tremendous trio" to the Caribbean island of Curacao where they lounged about on bridges, rock pools and against craggy walls. […]
Du Pont: Orlon ~ Menswear Adverts  “Light and Neat”
"So light, so neat!"These ads for men's suits made from Du Pont "Orlon" acrylic fibre date from 1958. The ads featured a close up shot of a man's jacketed torso on one side, with a full length shot in the distance on the other. The backgrounds were illustrations of fun outdoor activities. […]